Pleco

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Derekshatch

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Why is my black bristlenose peco starting to fade in some areas to a white color.

Any possibility of uploading a picture? And are the white areas big, or more to the small side/circles?

15780935791032691167900181494741.jpg

What kind of Pleco is that, or do you know? It could juts be maturing. What do you feed it? How big of a tank is it in. Do the spots seem to be "Mucusy" or fuzzy?

It is a bristlenose and it is very young so ya it could just be maturing. 30 gallon aquarium. I feed him pleco pellets.

Ok, good. Do you just feed him the pellets? If so, I suggest getting some Tetra Algae wafers. They provide the nutrients a pleco needs. Also, do you have any real driftwood in your tank? Plecos need to have wood fibers in their system, in order to properly digest food.

Yes i have driftwood and i will try and get some algae wafers.

Good. I really think its just maturing. I hope he has a long and healthy life! :)

My pleco also changes colors based on his mood! When he seems to be happy & content, he’s dark. When he is stressed out, he turns a much lighter shade. I’ve been told that this is completely normal for pleco’s. (Stressed in top pic- happy in bottom pic) Both pictures taken in the same day
9A143579-FB53-4B4E-AA61-2B301778A0A4.jpeg

8901B607-D9DB-4378-884F-24418638104C.jpeg

Beautiful! I think he’s a she though. No bristles.
Thank you! I’ve given up on researching what the characteristics of the different sexes are because I have found so many conflicting things! I suppose I’ll have to rename from “El Jefe” to “La Jefa” !! Haha

its a Plecostomus and grows big (18inches to 2 feet). males get small bristles on the edge of the pectoral fins when they mature.

if the fish get white patches it's usually caused by poor water quality and lots of gunk in the gravel. do some water changes and gravel clean the tank.

Most reactions

Back