Please Help Me

Hi, the general thing seems to be that the nutrafin cycle i have brought will be no good so it looks like i am going to have to start again from scatch with the fishless cycle??

If i just sit tight with what i've done so far will the tank still cycle or not and secondly will adding ammonia and going through the long process have any affects on my plants i have just added to my tank and in the long run is it better for the tank to of been done using a fishless cycle??

Thanks in advance. Ed

Adding ammonia to the tank at the recommended dose rate for fishless cycling (5ppm) will not harm live plants. The nutrafin cycle might have done something to reduce your cycle time (although I'm inclined to doubt it). Your tank won't cycle if you don't add ammonia, whether there are some bacteria in it now or not. You won't have to start from scratch with emptying the tank or anything like that, just start adding the ammonia now. You'll need some that doesn't foam up when you shake it and doesn't have any white pearly stuff floating around in it, because those ones contain soap and can leave a nasty residue in the tank.

If you just sit tight with what you've already done then NO your tank won't cycle, you need ammonia to build up the beneficial bacteria in your media.

Not too sure about the plants being affeceted, but i wouldn't of thought so - someone will correct me if i'm wrong on that.

And yes it would be a 100% better if you went down the fishless cycling route.

I went down the fish-in cycle and it's hard work, up to three 50% water changes per day for approx 6 weeks, it's not nice.

Mark.

the tank will not start cycle without ammonia that which can only be made by
. fish waste/poo (u need fish for this)
. or u will need to go and by some pure ammonia from a shop and add small amounts everyday until ur filter grows enough bacteria to turn the ammonia into nitrite and then it will grow different bacteria turning the nitrite into nitRATE.

eventually u will have so much good bacteria in ur filter that the ammonia > nitrite and nitrite> nitrate will accur so quickly itshould be untracable with ur test kit

i cany comment on the plants as i have neve gone down that route

and as for the long run as long as ur tank has cycled and u dont do anything to kill (all) the good bacteria it should make a difference which method u choose

hi greenscooby (i have a blue one luv it)

what size tank did u have where u was doing 3 x 50% changes a day in
and what fish did u have in i?

kris .

Thanks, i've read the fishless cycle page a couple of times but its qutie hard to get my head round sorry not to good at this!! So i need to start adding ammonia until my liquid tests show the amount to be (5ppm) then i need to test that every day and if it falls under out more in? How do i know when to stop putting it in do i need to test for something else as well?

I live in Norfolk (UK) and wonder if anyone knows where i can buy some ammonia from over easter so i can start stright away as this is all quite a big shock as my lfs just said give it 5-7 days take some water in for him to test and i can start off with something like Zebra Danios so to now hear that i need to start all this is pretty big really and i need to do it asap.

Got totally stiched up by my LFS got a 110ltr tank, 24hours later i had 6 platties, 7 days later 3 black neons and 2 balloon mollies. Didn't even know about cycling till i stumbled on to this forum, my Ammonia was through the roof was advised on here to do a massive (80-90%)water change immediately, then check the stats 3 or 4 times per day, if the ammonia ever went over .25 do a 50% thats what i done, now my tank is nice and healthy thanks to everyone on here giving me shed loads of advice.

Mark.

wow serious overstock they did a similar thing to me in my 10 g tank thats y i ended up buyin a 55g tank just so i had somewher to re-home the fish would of been cheape to take the fish back i suppose but i was always gna want a bigger tank anyways
how many of ur fish survived the cycle

I was lucky i lost one black neon and a balloon mollie, but i think we lost the mollie as i only had 2 males and i think they must have fought.

Mark.

ur lfs is pretty much telling u to cycle ur tank the way i have done mine i had 4 danios in it and they are still alive danios are the best fish to cycle with because they are hardy fish
this means thay can stand alot more fluctuation in parameters than most other fish i.e rising ammonia and nitrite levels
the only thing with putting fish in while u cycle a tank is like greenscooby said water changes are a must regularly
u must make ur sole objective keeping ur fish protected from high ammonia and nitrite levels at all times this could slightly slow down ur cycle but i dont think it made much difference to me.
mainly because the good bacteria grows in ur filter system not much in ur water so like i said before as long as u leave ur filter alone for a while ur bacteria is constantly growing

I am struggling to find any ammonia in shops and my tank tests this morning were PH=7.6, ammonia=0.25, Nitrite=0 and Nitrate=20. So still not much differernt but if i can't get any ammonia i think i am going to struggle with my cycle?

Would some tank water from my lfs help?? If so how much would i need??

Thanks again. Ed

I wouldn't have thought tank water would be much good, you could always ask for some mature media to help, BUT you need to get the ammonia, if you can't then you're gonna have to go down the fish in cycle, and ideally we need to avoid this route.

Have you tried homebase?

Mark.

Thanks for getting back to me, i have tried my homebase in norwich but unfortunately they don't have any also tried my b&q and wickes all with no joy :(

Thanks.

Sometimes with homebase you have to ask for the product, a lot of them don't keep it on the shelf.

No worries about getting back to you, thats why we are all here, we're here to help, in a couple of months time you'll be doing the same as the rest of us, handing out advice.

Addictive isn't it?

Mark.

From what I have read on here, you can find ammonia in a store called Bootes. I probably spelled it wrong. The best fish to add to a new and uncycled tank is a dead fish in a piece of nylon stocking and just let it rot in the tank. I am told that prawns work well for that. It will smell terrible but will decay and produce ammonia. My own approach is to use the clear ammonia because I can control the dosage. The ammonia is found with cleaning products and is often used as a glass cleaner because it cuts through grease so well. If you buy ammonia, you need to make sure it is not "cloudy" ammonia which contains soaps. You also want to avoid anything with perfumes to make the smell of the ammonia not quite as strong.
What you are trying to do is simple once you understand it. Bacteria grow in the aquarium on surfaces in places with good water flow and lots of oxygen. The typical spot that happens in an aquarium is in the filter.

What we are trying to do is get rid of the ammonia that the fish and decaying organic matter produce. There are bacteria that use ammonia to live and give off nitrites so we encourage them to grow by providing the "food" in the form of ammonia. Nitrites are also poisonous to the fish but there we get lucky. There are other bacteria that use nitrites as food and produce nitrates when they use it. We try to encourage those to grow also by leaving traces of nitrites in the water for them to feed off of. At the beginning you have almost no beneficial bacteria in the tank so we add an ammonia source to get things started. As time goes by, the ammonia gets used up so we add a bit more to keep the developing bacteria fed. When we get to the point where we can raise the ammonia level to 5 ppm in the water and 12 hours later we come back and find it at zero, the ammonia eaters are well enough established. If the nitrites stay at zero after those same 12 hours, we have enough of those bacteria too. So far it is simple right, add some ammonia and wait for the bacteria to grow and make the tank safe for fish. Add a little more when the levels drop just to keep the process working and the bacteria alive. All the numbers you see in fishless cycle threads are people wondering if their bacteria are growing well enough to get the fish soon. A small problem will arise if you get too high an ammonia concentration or the pH gets too low. If the ammonia level is too high, you will end up with the wrong bacteria developing. If your pH drops below about 6.5, the process can stall because the bacteria we want don't grow very well in low pH water.

Most reactions

Back