Please Help Me

I have tried all the diy shops, asked in b&q and wickes but not in homebase as thought it would be out.
That might be worth while doing.

Cheers.

Have you read olman47's post, he's one of the best on here, i sent him a message to have a look at this thread on your behalf.

Make sure you read it a couple of times so you understand it, i always find it best to read advice from more experienced fishkeepers twice as you normally miss something out.

Mark.

someone has just offered me the filter media from his juwel 180l tank, i am just a bit concerned as he says the temp of his water is 24c but he doesn't use a heater and has some cold and tropical fish together.

firstly can i take the media and use in my tank to help it cycle or not as there is no heater??

If so what filter should i take and how do i go about bringing it home and putting it in my tank??

The person lives about 3 mins drive away :)

Please get back to me tonight as i can get them tomo if everything is ok with doing that?

Many thanks as always.

Ed

yes the filter media will be fine, just make sure all of the fish in the tank are healthy, and you need to keep the media wet at all times with tank water do not let it dry out or the bacteria will start to die off, in a bucket will be fine. then just get it into your filter as soon as you can and you will be surprised how soon your tank will be cycled , you will be adding fish in no time :D

Thanks for getting back to me, which filter media should i take out of his tank please? Which one of his filters is likely to have the best bacteria on it.

I think he has similar filters to me as his tank is also a juwel. Should i take his carbon sponge or the bottom blue sponge or the nitrogen one?

Sorry for all the questions and yes i've offered to replace his sponge with a new one.

Thanks again

Hi sturmae and welcome to TFF!

I have read your whole thread and believe you currently still do not have fish or ammonia, either one. Its sounds like last night you were about to go get mature media from a friend 3 min away. Did you do that?

If not, I would suggest you hold off on that offer for just a bit but be sure to keep the offer alive! If you don't have the right kind of ammonia yet then you won't have food for the bacteria you are getting from the friend and they will start dying off the next day or two. You still won't want to get fish yet as the donation of mature media from his/her filter won't be enough yet to get your filter fully cycled, its more of a thing to speed up the fishless cycle.

So back to the ammonia problem. This is a very, very common problem in our forum. You have to be very, very persistent as you go about finding the right ammonia but its well worth the effort! Each place you go, you have to try at least a couple things: first, its good to take your time and go directly to all the store sections where it might be and look carefully. This is because we've sometimes heard the strange case that store workers have been told to -not- tell that its there (something about it being used for bad things or something.) But then, exactly the opposite, in some cases as said above the store will withhold it and you have to ask for them to bring it out!

Even though it doesn't seem that way so far, you are lucky in that to me it seems most of the UK members eventually do find the correct ammonia and often other UKers can help them out with the actual shops. Its sometimes worse in the usa and definately worst of all in australia. You can do searches here on TFF for "ammonia" and buried among the results might be other shops mentioned. Boots, Homebase, Wilkinsons, small hardware stores, independent chemists, something called "Jeyes Kleen Off ammonia"... these are all success outcomes in UK that I've read in posts here.

Anyway, keep at it sturmae! I know all this seems strange and complicated, especially compared to the first comments from the fish store, but what's happened is you've stumbled onto a forum of true hobbyists and in the long run that very lucky!

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks for getting back to me, which filter media should i take out of his tank please? Which one of his filters is likely to have the best bacteria on it.

I think he has similar filters to me as his tank is also a juwel. Should i take his carbon sponge or the bottom blue sponge or the nitrogen one?

Sorry for all the questions and yes i've offered to replace his sponge with a new one.

Thanks again

take one of his blue pads and add that to your tank along with 2-3 small fish, (danios, silver-tipped tetras, platys should be ok)

monitor the water stats over the next 48 hours, (you may experience a small spike and will then need to do a partial waterchange but IMO a mature juwel sponge should contain more than enough bacteria for 3 small fish.)

test the water in 7-10 days time, ammonia and nitrite should read 0 and nitrates should be reasonable, (50 or below)
If this is correct, you can start gradually adding fish to the tank week by week.

Most reactions

Back