Please Critique My Moss

miniman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok this is my first attempt at growing java moss to slate and would appreciate any feedback - at first i had the whole lot tied to the slate in a big clump but reading the guide on this forum I think that was wrong and i have tried to lay it more finely ... is this any good - im hoping to grow it like this untill it is attached and then have it standing in a spike!

DSC00150.JPG

It has orange stains on it which I guess could be rust! I didnt realise that slate rusted to be honest - I bought it from the LFS yesterday and they didnt mention anything - but i guess they wouldnt!

Don't know about the rust but you'll need to wrap more thread around that moss. It'll be floating in no time. Don't be afraid to tie it down well.

I have spoken to the Lfs about the orange stains and they say to give it a good clean but that it will not make a difference to the tank?

I will tkae the moss of give it another right good going over and then tie it down even more - is the cover of moss about right?

The moss looks tied down fine. Slate doesn't actually rust, it'll be impurities (eg some iron) or where the slate has been in contact with rusting metal (eg where there has previously been a nail through it)

Hmm where did you get the Java Moss from? It looks really brown and dark to me in some spots, doesnt' seem that there should be so much discoloration.

The slate should be fine, and don't be afraid to really tie the moss down, you don't want it coming loose later (like some of mine has) :(

Should that be rust, then it required removed prior to being added to the tank.

The Java moss looks a tad well dead...it should be bright green not brown.

ha yeah it is brown ! about 50%! :unsure: I bought if off ebay - it said it would be a bit brown but would turn green once put in the aquarium. Think i may have ben taken as a bit of a newby mug! :rolleyes:

My mates have been taking the mick all night since i told them my slate was rusting! :p

Sorry bro, brown = probably dead :(

It shoudl still be around this color:
IMG_0065.jpg

Hey miniman,

I agree with the others that your moss looks pretty dead. :sad:
It does look like you have a few that are green. :nod:
Don't bother tying them down yet.
Take the green ones and put them in the tank to grow.
Use a net or a clear plastic container to hold them in so they don't float everywhere.
You should have a lot in no time. :good:
The brown ones will just pollute your tank.

i dont like how the most looks,it looks scary.. what moss is it and how much did u pay for it?

It does look dead or maybe not even java moss.I got some off ebay advertised as java moss huge amount and it never really grew just stayed the same and I just assumed that I couldnt grow it, it had loads of dead brown bits like yours.A few months later I got some off my lfs and it was green and stringy and grew like crazy.The first stuff actually looked like moss you would see on walls.

It does look dead or maybe not even java moss.I got some off ebay advertised as java moss huge amount and it never really grew just stayed the same and I just assumed that I couldnt grow it, it had loads of dead brown bits like yours.A few months later I got some off my lfs and it was green and stringy and grew like crazy.The first stuff actually looked like moss you would see on walls.

After you've nursed it back to health you might try a hairnet instead of thread. It will give you a nice net-like framework and will contain elastic that will hold the net to the slate. Just a thought.

other than all the dead cririque
i think it should turn out ok.once you get some fresh moss.
some plants do turn brown after being put in your tanks as they may need to acclimate though.i dont think thats your case just an f y i
once its sorted it should look pretty good if you have all the conditions for the moss met.
a hair net does sound like a better idea in this case though.
never had any moss survive for me though.even fresh delivered from quailty shops.hmmmmm??
anyway should look good when done...

Most reactions

Back