Platy With Ick Just Had Babies

case1220

Reaction score
Hi I have a 20 gallon tank with 6 platy's that have ick, I've been treating for 2 days with Jungle ick guard, 25% water changes daily,
sometime yesterday, I think, one of my platy's gave birth..... only saw them during the gravel cleaning

I didn't even know one was pregnant (red coral, hard to see the spot I guess)

anyways I pulled the fry out into a one gallon isolation tank with a hang on back filter and 50% new water and 50% old.

Now what do I do? Should I continue to treat the fry for ick, can they survive the meds? and is she done having babies? :crazy:

First of all you should not of removed them, basically you have just passed on the whitespot to the other tank now, you must now treat both tanks.

The fry tank just treat half dose for longer period.

that's okay the isolation tank was empty, I can always jsut empty and sanitize it later.
I was thinking of putting the fry back in a floating net tank and treating them all, but I guess I'd have to drop the dose to half for all the fish?

And what about any new fry, will the meds at full strength harm them, I mean I'd like to stay and monitor the tank, but I have to work and I've found that isolating the mother in those floating breeders usually stresses the heck out her. ( not that I'm an expert, just lucky with getting pregnant fish from the LFS)

that's okay the isolation tank was empty, I can always jsut empty and sanitize it later.
I was thinking of putting the fry back in a floating net tank and treating them all, but I guess I'd have to drop the dose to half for all the fish?

And what about any new fry, will the meds at full strength harm them, I mean I'd like to stay and monitor the tank, but I have to work and I've found that isolating the mother in those floating breeders usually stresses the heck out her. ( not that I'm an expert, just lucky with getting pregnant fish from the LFS)

When i was having trouble with one of my tanks, i had a breeding trap and net full of fry, i treated at normal dose and they was all fine...

Ive read all my bottles of medications and not one says it harms fry.

sounds good, cause honestly the daily water changes are okay, but the thought of going on with this for more than the 10 days I've planned isn't thrilling me. :D

that is correct, it should not harm your fry :D

Most reactions

Back