Platy Problems

Applerust

Reaction score
I have some Mollys and Platys in a tanks together. The Mollys are fine and the Platys are not eating ang getting very weak. I assume they will die soon. Is there anything I can do?

Can anyone list ideal conditions for platys according to experience? I have found mixed results via google.

Thanks,

Justin

Well, ideally you need to post your water stats.

I presume your water is out somewhere. Do you have a test kit for ammonia nitrite or nitrate ? Your PH could be out or anything really.

You need to post some more information if you want some constructive answers.

How bigs your tank
How many fish are in it and what
Filter type
How new is the tank
Water stats
Temperature
Anything new been added lately

If your tanks new, have you cycled it, if not, did you add any filter start or anything with the new fish ?

Completely new tank

55 gallon tank (Sitting on a birch aquarium stand that I built with my father and wife)
2 thermometers (1 strip and 1 standard) one is on the left near the heater and one is on the right very far from the heater.
1 Bubbler that has 2 outputs for air (1 is in use for a sunken ship deco)
1 Neptune 200w heater
1 Topfin 60 pump
2 light fixtures sitting on half glass half plastic aquarium lids.
55 lbs of uncolored aquarium gravel

Fish:

2 Mickey Mouse Platys (1 died and other will not eat) 1 male 1 female and not sure which died.
2 Mollys (doing well) 1 male 1 female
2 http://www.centralpets.com/critter_images/...21227145527.jpg (I cant remember the name other than Blushing something) (these 2 fish are also doing well and) 1 male 1 female

Currently the tank is slightly foggy. I have treated the water for chlorine, added some sort of bacteria solution, and added enzyme salt.
The temperature has been around 77-78 degrees constantly.
Using Tetramin fish food.
I cannot find a water testing kit to purchase. I fear I may have to order one off the internet unless Pet Smart gets one in stock soon.

I let the water run through the filters for a few hours before adding any fish. On my first tank I didn't let it run at all and all the fish lived for over a year. The people at Pet Smart said all of the fish I chose were hardy and should be able to survive harsh conditions with no problem as long as the fish ate the food I gave them.

How often do you perform water changes?
How often do you feed?

Are your fish discolored at all? Like do they seem pale?
How is there breathing?

If you need to order online for test kits, take a look at the link below....
That Pet Place, Master Test Kit
Also check ebay, you may be able to find cheaper prices on there. Just a thought!

How often do you perform water changes?
How often do you feed?

Are your fish discolored at all? Like do they seem pale?
How is there breathing?

If you need to order online for test kits, take a look at the link below....
That Pet Place, Master Test Kit
Also check ebay, you may be able to find cheaper prices on there. Just a thought!

Have not changed the water once as it is only a few days old. (I thought it was bad to change the water at early stages?)
I feed 2-3 times a day depending on my schedule.
No discoloration.
Breathing seems steady and regular.

Water is still foggy.

Do a water change right now if you can, I would suggest 40 or 50% straight away then test your water again an hour later

if your unsure about this - DONT PUT TAP WATER IN IT !!! take the water out your tank and replace with water similar in temperature (use water from kettle to correct the temp in a bucket first). Then put your water dechlorinator in the bucket with the water, then add to your tank. Dont ever use tap water or clean your filter under a tap, always use your old fish water. At this point, add something like stress Zyme, which helps colonise your bacteria in your filter.

The cloudyness is purely bacteria in your tank which your filter cannot cope with. Many LFS say you can add fish in a day to a new tank, but its wrong.

As for the current problems Applerust - what your getting is very typical new tank syndrome. You really need to read up on the whole cycling process.

Firstly read this
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861

Then This
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=171045

The first one will tell you about the cycle that happens in your tank, from waste to Nitrates. Basically your fish poo and make a mess, this is ammonia, which is LETHAL to fish. Your filter once established will remove this ammonia and turn it into Nitrite, this is also lethal to fish. Once this has happened the bacteria in your filter will turn the Nitrite into Nitrate which is far less harmful. Your WEEKLY water changes will LOWER the Nitrate levels- this is explained in the second link.

Its really simple and once you understand it, you will be able to keep much happier and healthy fish. You wont have to replace them all the time if you just read a bit.

Please buy a liquid test kit like this...
http://www.seapets.co.uk/product-details/s...tegory/753.html

They are about £25 but will last for ages and will help you keep a tab on things in your water.

Please post back and let us know how your getting on, it may sound like a chore, but its worth the effort.

Most reactions

Back