Platy Emergency! (i'm Freaking Out)

little_betta_boy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
OK...i'm kinda freakin out here...i went to feed my platies and noticed that one of my males looked pregnant....then i noticed the prodruding scales. I gave them a full dose of Aqua Plus and Cycle.

What do i do?!
How bad is this?!
Is it contagious?! (don't mind the spelling)
Is he suffering?!

AAHH!!!

its an internal bacteria problem he has,
sometimes caused by water quality, if his scales are already pine cone in looks you could try a anti internal med if you can separate him, as you will over medicate the tank, you may not be able to save him, i had to put my platy down because of this.
dont worry other fish cant catch this from him.

its an internal bacteria problem he has,
sometimes caused by water quality, if his scales are already pine cone in looks you could try a anti internal med if you can separate him, as you will over medicate the tank, you may not be able to save him, i had to put my platy down because of this.
dont worry other fish cant catch this from him.

just in case i have to....how do i put him down?
is he suffering?

thanks

internal problem. usually they make then skinnier because the bacteria eats the food, not bigger. it's usually not common, or atlerast that i know of, to have this problem. i'd suggest getting some internal infection meds at the nearest LFS. i would seperate him from the others. it may be able to get into the other fish too. good luck and let us know if he makes it! :good:

internal problem. usually they make then skinnier because the bacteria eats the food, not bigger. it's usually not common, or atlerast that i know of, to have this problem. i'd suggest getting some internal infection meds at the nearest LFS. i would seperate him from the others. it may be able to get into the other fish too. good luck and let us know if he makes it! :good:

Um...ok...i've heard MANY times that dropsy makes their abdomen swell....do you want like a pic? I may just be being stupid...i denno

ANYWAY....Do you know if he's suffering?
If i do have to put him down....what's a non-cruel way to do it?!

Thanks for the help, you guy rock

If he gets worse and you feel like you have to put him down, cold water is the best way to do it that I've seen. You put a bowl of water in the freezer and a couple hours later when it's formed ice on the top, it's ready. I would toss a few other ice cubes in for a couple minutes to make it a bit colder the whole way through. Drop the fish in and it will die instantly.

It's an unfortunate event when we have to do this to a fish, but sometimes it is necessary. Good luck.

thanks...I'll keep an eye on him..

any other advice is awsome!!

thank you guy SOO much.....man i love this forum

Oh...one more question....does anyone know if he's suffering? I know i've asked but i REALLY wanna know...

sorry if i'm pushy..

if he's swimming fine then he's ok, but if he starts sitting in the corner or among plants or rocks away from the other fish and just being out of the usually stuff like feeding.
Then it's a sign it's affecting it more.

Cold water is probably the worst way to kill a fish.

Fish are cold blooded so lowering the temp just slows the fish down and prolongs the process and till the temp in the fish gets down to a lethal temp.
The quickest way is to destroy the brain, giving a hit over the head is the quickest way but hard to carry out on a pet.
Toilet!!!! again this is awful way can take 2-3 hours for the fish to die.
Alcohol, a strong produce like vodka or whisky will kill the fish quite quickly.
Formalin almost instant death but difficult to get.

Most reactions

Back