Platy about to give birth maybe ?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guppy10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a platy that has given birth before but I never saw any fry. Tonight she hovering around the surface weeds but the gouramis and angels are lurking around her and looking in the weeds around her. Is this instinctive that they no a meal is coming ? Or am I wrong. Her partner is busy now chasing off barbs and Angels. What can I do to protect the fry if I'm correct ? Quick answers needed I think. Thankyou.

Iv thrown in some sinking pellets to distract others but it's not really working.

Well, if you have another cycled setup, you can put her in that tank as gentle as possible and try not to stress her out! But if you don't, turn the tank lights off and leave the room dark. This means that when she gives birth the fish won't be able to find the fry, and the fry can run to hide. Then you can net out the fry and raise them up in an enclosed floating breeder box or a 5 gallon tank! And add even more floating plants if you can! Hope this helped you out! ;)

Ok, I'll have lights off. I did have a cycled smaller tank for quarantining fish and plants which worked well, but iv not long emptied it all out to get rid of pesky snails ( hundreds of tiny ones off plants ) though I like nice snails and turned heater off as was not used in these trying times. Do you think my instinct on the other fish behaviour maybe right ? Thankyou

Your fish are probably waiting for the show to happen; the fry to be released and be eaten. but now since the lights are turned off, the fish will think it is sleeping time, and will hopefully fall asleep. If not, at least 6 fry will survive anyway. Congrats and good luck! :good:

She's now devouring the pellets and standing her ground with the others in a big way. She's pecking a gold gourami away !! Lights off soon

Her belly has squared off tho not as fat as previous but all this fish behaviour had me thinking.

When I had my rosy barbs, they would hover around my girls and spawning cories like they knew and would devour all young.The males hovering around the girl and nudging at her behind is also a sign from what I’ve witness.

Most reactions

Back