Platinum polar parrot fish swim bladder?

ga_Anna

Reaction score
My fish was injured in a rock formation. It was stuck and had a few sores. I have it in a big glass bowl with an air stone. I have medicated the sores and they are a lot better. However it is still laying on the bottom and only moves crazy like if I move the air stone. What can I do?

I would start by fixing the formation in question and I would put him back in his tank ASAP. If the fish has panic reactions... That is not helping. If the wound treatment was successful, The fish should be reintroduced immediately.

He could probably be laying on the bottom, out of fear. Put him back in his tank and let him rest with all light off for a couple hours. if he still lays on the bottom let him be for the moment. Anyway there is not much more you can do.

No more stress.

First thing to do is get it back in the tank asap. The additional stress of being in a bowl is not helping.
Keep the water very good (0 ammonia and nitrite, nitrates as low as possible) and it should be fine.

What did you use to medicate the sores?

And yes, keep the light off.

Should I remove the other fish in his tank? I used a medication from the pet store for injuries such as open wounds.

That's him. He's inside the skull now. But still laying on his side. His mate is with him.

Attachments

• IMG_20240717_223812712_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240717_223812712_HDR.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 26
First thing to do is get it back in the tank asap. The additional stress of being in a bowl is not helping.
Keep the water very good (0 ammonia and nitrite, nitrates as low as possible) and it should be fine.

What did you use to medicate the sores?

And yes, keep the light off.
Melafix is what I used

Still just chilling in the hiding spot. Lights off in the tank.

Attachments

• 17212714632501175716841631876469.jpg
    17212714632501175716841631876469.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 20
You can use treatments such as API Melafix or a stronger antibiotic medication like Seachem Kanaplex to treat your fish and tank.
he has been treated. i'm concerned about how he is laying on the bottom on his side

he has been treated. i'm concerned about how he is laying on the bottom on his side
Do your research on Melafix, a lot of people claim it doesn't work or not very well. If it were my fish, I would do a water change and dose with Seachem Kanaplex. I would dose the tank as well as mix Kanaplex in its food to treat internal bacterial infection.

I would not start out with Kanaplex, and especially not a double dose of putting it in the water and in food. Sores and other open wounds can be easily treated with non-antibiotic medications. It sounds like the sores are largely healed on this fish. Otherwise, we have no solid indications of a bacterial infection, so dosing an antibiotic (especially a very powerful antibiotic like kanamycin) might be needlessly putting stress on your fish and your biofilter.

Most reactions

Back