The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Loughrea

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here.
I really like this place, it's very informative. :good:

Here is a picture of some platies my Dad gave me. I have never raised any of
these fish before. So far I like them alot, but I think they maybe pregnant. :unsure:

What do you guys think?

100_1687small.jpg

it's quite possible they're pregnant, there's a few pinned topics about breeding and raising the fry if you want to keep them, if not you can do as many others do and leave it to nature, nearly all the fry will get eaten, surivial of the fittest you might get 1/2 babies left. :)

Hi,
the red platy at the top looks very big,
if she starts to hide a lot she may be about to give birth.
all the best with them Donna :)

The red platy looks like she is really close to giving birth, she is already squaring off on the bottom of the stomach.. have some good hiding spots and fry could survive easier. I do survival of the fittest, but I have eggets and decorative rocks for the substrate, rather than aquarium gravel and the fry stay in there until they are big enough. Good luck with your new platies, they are pretty.

The big red ones scales look like they are sticking out too, (Read that somewhere on here), she
is hiding, and so are the other fat ones.
The won't eat, is this normal?
:unsure:

Hi,
a heavy pregnant fish thats close to giving birth can some times go off food for a short time,
what worrys me though is that you say her scales look like they are sticking out, this could be dropsy,
keep an eye on her if she gets worse with the scales sticking out you could be looking at this illness.

Most reactions

Back