Plants. Real Or Fake?

huckFIN

Reaction score
I'm undecided whether to go for real plants or plastic/silk ones. I know if I go for fake plants my tank is more likely to suffer from algae but then again, fake plants won't need the attention that real plants will. Is it 'swings and roundabouts' and just a matter of personal choice or is it better (either for the fish or the fishkeeper) to go a particular way?

I use a mix about 3 real to every 2 fake plants so In a heavily planted tank it always looks full even when plants have been replaced but not yet grown but the real make it look untacky and natural whilst helping both algea and water quality

I want real - especially to control algae - but worrying slightly about the extra time and care they could possibly need ontop of the fish care.

well, as a relative noob, I decided to go fake silk plants, they were fine for a while, but the more I looked at the tank the more I hated the artifical look of it, I decided to switch over to real plants, I removed 30% of the water, did a gravel vac, added feeder sticks to the gravel and the live plants, that was about 2 or 3 months ago, everything is growing except two small plants that were slowly dying so I removed them. All I do is take out the bits that rise to the surface now and again.

you can put them in during the fishless cycle, just give them 8-10 hours of light a day.

It wasnt too much bother for me to put them in with fish in the tank though, (125ltr) just move in slow motion so you dont disrupt the fish too much

Either. Healthy live plants take in ammonia, so they do form a part of your biofilter, and will aid in the cycle slightly (it's not a major difference unless you really pack them in). Best to go with hardy plants, particularly fast growing stemmed plants, during the cycle. Valis and bacopa are my favorite "bulk" plants. They form about 2/3 of my aquascaping, and both should grow wonderfully in a cycle.

I'd vote for real plants (or a mixture of real and fake can work as Jazzzz suggests, especially while they're getting established). They don't have to be a lot of work - just feed them, pick out any dead leaves, and occasionally prune them. Plant a selection, and give them a chance, then remove the ones that don't work. The experts add CO2, use special lighting and fertilisers, and the results are stunning (see the Planted tanks forum), but even without CO2 and just basic lighting you can still have an attractive planted tank. :good:

Most reactions

Back