Plants From Tanks With Snails

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cornishlass

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
There is a garden centre in cornwall that seems to carry the best range of plants, the only thing is there are snails in the tanks with the plants. Last time I brought one plant from them I ended up with hundreds of snails to get rid of, not fun at all. It seems a bit silly they do this, or was i just unlucky?

Its very hard to get any plants without snail eggs on, which is more common to miss than snails.
The only way is if you buy direct from a nursery such as Tropica or Aquafleur.

You can kills the snails & egss by treating the plants in a copper drip, just rinse them off thoroughly afterwards. If you have shrimps, then be extra cautious, but I wouldnt reccomend doing it at all if you keep shrimp.

Thanks, Aaron

Assassin snails all the way!

• Fun to watch
  • Good looking
  • Eat snails

Win/win situation.

Ok thanks, so will they not breed then? I ended up with a tank covered with thousands of jelly eggs, yuck

Assassin snails do breed but it's not a fast process unlike the snails you class as pests. Also, if they do breed you can sell them on as people actually want them! :D

If you do find snails - I find it easy to suck them out using a turkey baster. Then drop them in a bucket of salted water. :lol::lol:

Another good way to get rid of snails is to get a couple Boita genus loaches. They love to dine on snails. I used a trio of Botia lohachata in one of my tanks for about a week and they decimated my old snail problem.

If you do find snails - I find it easy to suck them out using a turkey baster. Then drop them in a bucket of salted water. :lol::lol:

A nice, evil way to get rid of snails! :shifty:

Most reactions

Back