Planted aquariums

Wyld-Fyre

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have to start this topic off by asking: 'are planted tanks really good for the fishes or the aquariast?'

Automatically, I'd think it's definitely better for my fishes. It's the fishes demands which are primary to any concerns here. So why am I asking this question?

Here we go......

For the last couple of days, I have not seen head nor tail of either two of my Yo-Yo loaches, and today, as I came back from a shopping trip, looked into my tank, and saw my one of my Kribs nibbling at a gas-filled rotting corpse of one of the Yo-Yo's.

I think it must of died within the last couple of days, and somehow got stuck in my bogwood/lava rock substrate. Only to be flushed out at some point by the constant predation by my Kribs, or by the 'strongish' water currents.

The point is this. If I didn't have the substrate I may spotted whatever ailments this fish may have suffered from. Then, would it be right for me to bypass their needs for the good of their health?

Your views please......

It could happen anyways. I have several hiding places for my fish to stay in where they could die and I'd only know about it if I couldn't find them and took the decorations out or moved them around. I just can't see a bare tank with nothing in it though. Looks so empty and barren IMO.

I shouldn't give up on plant, they help absorb nitrates and phosphates and some heavy metals like iron. but fish will always find a way to kill them selves sorry if dat sounded bad but well after one of my neons got sucked into the filter my nons don't get anywhere near the filter so i would say most of ur fishs should know not to go where the yo-yo went .

I really don't understand the question/topic. Are you saying that before you had a planted tank you had a bare tank with nothing in it? I've used lava rock as filter media, but I didn't realize there was a substrate.

I'm just really confused by this topic. My heavily planted tanks have the smallest measureable nitrates (0) of all my aquariums. I have to dose nitrates to keep my plants happy. Try to duplicate that with a plant-less tank.

Planted tanks are really good for both the aquarist and fish. :thumbs:

Sorry to hear about your loss :( I'm a bit confused by the title of your post and the content. You mention plants in your title, and bring in substrate (which refers to a particulate matter at the bottom of the tank, such as gravel or sand), and then mention bogwood and lava rock which are decorations.

Many fish, including a lot of loaches, like to hide. If there aren't hiding places in your tank, the fish will be stressed and unhappy. It doesn't sound to me that the lava rock or bogwood figured into the cause of death...I'm curious if you have determined what may have caused the loach's death.

EDIT: I see that I have duplicated Bangin's confusion, as I have been beaten to the punch by 4 minutes :)

Thanks for your responses everyone. I wrote it last thing this (very early) morning, so apologise if it didn't make sense.

Facts:
1) I have a well planted tank at the moment, and which has always been.
2) I have enough bogwood and lava rock laid out on top of the gravel to be called a substrate in its own right.
3) The Yo-Yo loach had died, as explained by its disappearance for the last couple of days.

I had a look at the corpse, and although a lot slimier and paler than usual, could not find any discernable blemishes, marks, sores, parasites, or unexplained growths on its body.

I even went as far to perform an amatuer autopsy on the fishs' belly/stomach area to determine if the cause was an internal one. This, to play it safe, in the case for internal parasites or anything else. Nothing was found to be suspicious.

Tank water quality is fine, as I have set up the following rota's/checks:

1) Twice weekly, 10-20% water change
2) Once performed, quarter of year 'big clear-out'
3) Twice weekly ammonia, PH, KH, GH, NO2, and NO3 tests, and are of optimal levels
4) Feeding: Twice daily comprising of flakes, hi-protein granules, and now and then live foods
5) Temperature: optimal at 26-28c/78-82f
6) Aeration is boosted by an air pump
7) Lighting is on for 12-14 hours to encourage algal growth for my Oto's, SAE's and snails

I'm sad from the loss of this lovable fish, but am fairly satisfied, happy even, that death wasn't attributed to disease. None of my other Yo-Yo's are afflicted. Still have to keep a close eye on the Krib, and the remaining Yo-Yo's.

Back to the issue. Should I limit the amount of hiding places (of bogwood, lava rock and plants), so better to spot future signs of illness? Or leave it as it is because the fishes would be a lot happier being mentally stimulated?

Sounds more like it may have died of stress then if there was no other visible signs of cause of death. If you have so much bogwood and rock it's a second substrate then it wouldn't hurt to get rid of some if you wanted to.

Don't want to make them (fishes) unhappy. I guess I'd better leave it as it is. The fishes look very happy with what they have in the tank.

Perhaps just one of those unexplainable fish deaths I could do nothing about?

Keep it as it is. Fishies love losts of hiding places and plants to nibble on and now that they're used to having the plants and substrate as it is, they would get stressed if it all suddenly disappeared.

Most reactions

Back