Plant Pots

Fantail_John

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
will it be ok to use a ordinary garden plant pot to use a decoration in a fish tank? pot or plastic ones. or will you need to buy one especially made for aquariums?

John

I have a plant pot cut in half as a hiding place for my 2 bristlenose (when i get them) covered in java moss and it seems to be fine :)

i did buy a new one from the gardening shop only cost £1.50 though for a pretty big one because i did not know if anything chemical was used in our plant pots

Ash

I have a plant pot cut in half as a hiding place for my 2 bristlenose (when i get them) covered in java moss and it seems to be fine :)

i did buy a new one from the gardening shop only cost £1.50 though for a pretty big one because i did not know if anything chemical was used in our plant pots

Ash

Thank for a fast reply :) i was thinking of using java moss but was told it takes over your tank and hard to control it? is this true. I will get a pot today and see how it looks in my tank :)

John

i have only had it in for a couple of weeks and it is tied down to the pot with thin thread (and a few smaller pieces of pot i broke and put around the tank) and is growing but not at a speed where i cannot control it.

when i feel it is growing too long ill just take the pot out and trim it then put it back in to the tank.

i only have a low tech tank no co2 and not amazing lighting but im guessing with co2 and good lighting and fertiliser the growth could get out of control if you dont keep it in check.

im no expert at all (only started first tropical tank a month or so ago before that was goldfish) but thats from my experiance of java moss so far :)

hope it helps

Ash

i have only had it in for a couple of weeks and it is tied down to the pot with thin thread (and a few smaller pieces of pot i broke and put around the tank) and is growing but not at a speed where i cannot control it.

when i feel it is growing too long ill just take the pot out and trim it then put it back in to the tank.

i only have a low tech tank no co2 and not amazing lighting but im guessing with co2 and good lighting and fertiliser the growth could get out of control if you dont keep it in check.

im no expert at all (only started first tropical tank a month or so ago before that was goldfish) but thats from my experiance of java moss so far :)

hope it helps

Ash

Thank's for your answer and be interesting to hear other people views on java moss

John

Normal clay pots from the garden center will be fine after a quick soke and a wash and there really cheap also. Java moss will grow without ferts co2 or brilliant lighting. I had a small clump in my old betta tank which only had led lights and it still grew nice and slowly. in my community tank with a t5 bulb it grew much faster but nothing out of controll. i'm no plant expert java moss is one of the only two plants i've sucessfully grown lol but thats my experiance if it helps you

Normal clay pots from the garden center will be fine after a quick soke and a wash and there really cheap also. Java moss will grow without ferts co2 or brilliant lighting. I had a small clump in my old betta tank which only had led lights and it still grew nice and slowly. in my community tank with a t5 bulb it grew much faster but nothing out of controll. i'm no plant expert java moss is one of the only two plants i've sucessfully grown lol but thats my experiance if it helps you

Thank you for your answer and can you let me know will java moss grow ok in a cold water tank?

John

Yeh i had it in mine when i was a kid never needed to trim it as the goldies liked to munch on it. Its probibly the most tolerable easily grown plant there is

Yeh i had it in mine when i was a kid never needed to trim it as the goldies liked to munch on it. Its probibly the most tolerable easily grown plant there is

Thanks :) i will give it a try in my new tank and see what happens, does the moss help to maintain the tank?

John

Most reactions

Back