Plant advantges

Sarkis

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
what are the advantges of having live plants in a tank appose to fake plants. Ex. does it help clean toxins out of the water????? etc.?

Soak up toxins, produce oxygen, outcompete algae (though the algae tends to come because you up the lighting for the plants in the first place), and you can turn one of them into lots of them.

Bangin said:
Not to mention they're natural. :thumbs:
cool thanks for the info, I was planning on getting plants today.
One more question, my tank is a 46 gallon Bowhead length is 36inchs, depth is 1ft 19inchs, and width is 1ft 17inchs. what plants would be good for the tank

Biggest thing is your fish will get sick less. I would start with low light plants. Hornwort, Java Moss, Java Fern, Water Sprite, Some swords even.

Da_Oz said:
Biggest thing is your fish will get sick less. I would start with low light plants. Hornwort, Java Moss, Java Fern, Water Sprite, Some swords even.
can plants be put in if tank is still cycling/

Not to mention that plastic plants are ugly, cheap, lame, piece of **** decorations that are just ****ing pointless. :hyper:

Even if I didn't have time to care for live plants, I'd never use plastic plants . . . plain rocks and bogwood look SO MUCH NICER.

Live plants are the reason I don't think I'd ever make a marine tank. Live plants are just GREAT. For too many reasons than there's time to be explained. A tank's just not fullfilling without live plants . . . Another reason why I think african cichlid tanks are . . . not that attractive. :D

Yeah . . . plants rock

PS-- Plastic plants are REALLY pointless! :D

Sarkis said:
can plants be put in if tank is still cycling/
Yes, they can even speed up the cycling process. This is best achieved with high light and CO2. :thumbs:

Live plants provide the perfect cover for fry and also a food source for them as live plants seem to have more tiny particles on them that small fry - and some big guys - graze on.

ALASKA

tear-scar said:
Not to mention that plastic plants are ugly, cheap, lame, piece of **** decorations that are just ****ing pointless. :hyper:

Even if I didn't have time to care for live plants, I'd never use plastic plants . . . plain rocks and bogwood look SO MUCH NICER.

Live plants are the reason I don't think I'd ever make a marine tank. Live plants are just GREAT. For too many reasons than there's time to be explained. A tank's just not fullfilling without live plants . . . Another reason why I think african cichlid tanks are . . . not that attractive. :D

Yeah . . . plants rock

PS-- Plastic plants are REALLY pointless! :D
my thoughts exactly :D I just don't find a tank attractive unless it's got live plants...

although to be fair, plastic plants DO have a use in that they provide shade/shelter

but yeah...the day I start being tempted to use plastic plants is the day i quit fishkeeping :X

for me, its just love at the first sight with planted tank :wub:

barbus said:
for me, its just love at the first sight with planted tank :wub:
what kind of plants would look good in my tank good. Something that is easy to grow and will grow pretty long the tank is 1ft 19inchs height. Also i have a single 30watt floricent bulb in there, it has a purple color to it. Any help anyone please

clutterydrawer said:
whats the volume and length of your tank Sarkis?
tank is 46gallon its 3ft long, 1ft19inchs hieght, and 1ft 12-17inchs wide varies in width because its a bowhead

I just recently( accually) today bought 2 plants 1 Echinodorus belheri, and another which i am still searching for the name

The planted tank is also ever changing. The layout and colors change all the time so year after year you aren't looking at the same old thing.

ALASKA

Most reactions

Back