Plans for my tank (would these work)

Yeah I know tell you what let's move back to the journal one everything in this plan was turned on its head as soon as learnt more this is a beautiful nightmare

If you have any worries about fin nipping, there are many species of small shoaling tetra similar to neons which are less likely to tear up betta fins!

If you have any worries about fin nipping, there are many species of small shoaling tetra similar to neons which are less likely to tear up betta fins!
I know the only issue is I already have some neons and I would hate to return every one of my original 3 fish

That makes sense. Your best bet is definitely to increase the size of the neon tetra shoal and look for compatible tank mates from there. The Cory cats are still a good choice if you want an active shoaling bottom dweller.

That makes sense. Your best bet is definitely to increase the size of the neon tetra shoal and look for compatible tank mates from there. The Cory cats are still a good choice if you want an active shoaling bottom dweller.
Yeah ok so I'm not being crazy by wanting to at least keep the neons few I thought I was just being petty but guess not (on top of that if the betta/neons are aggressive I can use my 6 gallon as a betta tank)

So, to be clear, do you have the 6 gallon tank already? If not, you'll want to get it soon. If you really have your heart set on betta and neon tetras, it's wise anticipate a potential fin nipping situation. In that case, it's better to have a cycled tank on hand than a sterile one. Also, have you considered a female betta? They can be very beautiful (and less aggressive) without the temptation of the male's longer fins.

If your heart isn't set on a betta in your community, you could also select another species and not get the 6 gallon at all (or set it up as a separate betta tank). Avoid anything big enough to eat the neons (which would be inadvisable in a 21 gallon tank anyway). Some small species of gourami, small schooling fish like other tetras and rasboras, and invertebrates like snails and shrimp are all possibilities.

So, to be clear, do you have the 6 gallon tank already? If not, you'll want to get it soon. If you really have your heart set on betta and neon tetras, it's wise anticipate a potential fin nipping situation. In that case, it's better to have a cycled tank on hand than a sterile one. Also, have you considered a female betta? They can be very beautiful (and less aggressive) without the temptation of the male's longer fins.

If your heart isn't set on a betta in your community, you could also select another species and not get the 6 gallon at all (or set it up as a separate betta tank). Avoid anything big enough to eat the neons (which would be inadvisable in a 21 gallon tank anyway). Some small species of gourami, small schooling fish like other tetras and rasboras, and invertebrates like snails and shrimp are all possibilities.
Yeah I think I'm just gonna use 6 gallon as betta tank and find something else to go in with the tetras and cories

If you can, I would aim for a 10g tank for the Betta. The bigger the better.

If you can, I would aim for a 10g tank for the Betta. The bigger the better.
i would but i already have the 6 gall and trying to stay in a bit of a buggit but i can always upgrade later down the line my motto is work with what you got until you have something better

i would but i already have the 6 gall and trying to stay in a bit of a buggit but i can always upgrade later down the line my motto is work with what you got until you have something better
A 6 gallon should be sufficient so long as water quality is good. My own betta lives in a 6 gallon planted tank.

Gotcha. 5g tanks are OK, but fish will always appreciate more space. :)

Most reactions

Back