Place Your Bets

I have some bad news 
cry1.gif

I've just cleaned my babies out and decided to try and count how many there are and there are actually only 3. No signs of any remains of the other 3 so I can only presume the remaining 3 have eaten them. 

I'm a bit upset :(

I've now decided on a new way of doing this. I have a tank that's divided into two and so with the next lot of eggs the newly hatched will go in one side with loads of moss and a sponge filter and any that make it to 5 weeks old will move into the other side to grow on. 

The four eggs I collected are white still, I'll give them another 24 hours but they don't look to be fertile at the moment. Oh the frustration!

Sorry to hear this Akasha :(

My peppered didn't change colour until the day before they hatched, not noticeably anyway. Maybe to a more experienced eye they did but I checked them regularly and honestly couldn't tell. Have yours changed colour?

no change in colour so all infertile. I've thrown them out now. I'm dithering again though and really not sure what to do. I don't know whether to leave the 3 alone where they are or whether to get the split tank in from the shed and start setting it up and move the 3 in and then the empty side is ready for the next batch of eggs.

Of course the third option is always lurking in the back of my mine - that being give up on breeding and just go back to enjoying what I have. I can certainly live without the rollarcoaster that the seem to have me on  

Akasha72 said:
no change in colour so all infertile. I've thrown them out now. I'm dithering again though and really not sure what to do. I don't know whether to leave the 3 alone where they are or whether to get the split tank in from the shed and start setting it up and move the 3 in and then the empty side is ready for the next batch of eggs.

Of course the third option is always lurking in the back of my mine - that being give up on breeding and just go back to enjoying what I have. I can certainly live without the rollarcoaster that the seem to have me on  

If you are looking for recommendations... add a few more plants to your main tank, specifically mossy type stuff, and step back and enjoy what you have.  This hobby is supposed to be about enjoyment not frustration.  By trying to save and raise these fry you are doing the opposite of what the hobby should be.  Relax and let nature take its course.  

I would do that Eagles if I wanted more panda cories but I don't really. The only one's I want more of are my smudge spots - purely because they are so rare and I've only got three! 

I guess the breeding attempts gives me something to do other than feed-water change-enjoy routine. It is frustrating though when they die for no reason other than that they are picky eaters!

Well, if you get more pandas, take them as juvies to your LFS... And hope for the best with the smudges.

thing is my tank is really well planted with loads of hidey holes - I've already had 2 panda's raise themselves in the big tank. Any juvie's I get are uncatchable without tearing the tank apart. The panda's are so prolific in their breeding habits at the moment that I'm expecting more to turn up at some point and so I'm gonna end up with even more anyway!

See ... we must be pyschic ... I've just spotted a little mini panda cory in my main tank ... gods know how many more there may be and I'll never catch it, not in there with all the plants and wood for it to hide in 
confused.gif

UPDATE:

I still have three and all three are tucking into the pellets now with great gusto. Yesterday I fed them 4 times and each time they polished off the lot. They are growing like mad now and it won't be long before they are big enough to leave me. 

One of them has taken to playing in the filter current - he seems to be enjoying himself and I guess it helps to build up strength. 

I'm now eagerly awaiting some more eggs. Even though this is a real rollercoaster I have to admit to enjoying bringing on babies :)

it is! It's great to drop in the food and then look 10 minutes later and see it's all gone! There's no way these guys are going to die of hunger. I'm keeping their little bellies nice and full :)

hiya, er ... I think they are 7 weeks today? Does that sound right? I'd need to go back on the thread to be certain. Two of the three are better eaters than the other. As soon as the pellets go in they're straight there munching, the third one takes a bit of time. I'm adding a bit extra now and feeding up to 3 times a day 

How are yours doing?

Mine are 7 weeks old today so yours will be just under. They're doing great :)

must be 6 weeks then. I know they hatched on a Monday

Most reactions

Back