Piranhas

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oh All I have in with mine now is a pleco .I didnt want to take the chance with noting else. But I am going to try again. I put stuff in the tank with them but it is for cleaning purposes only. I was always afraid to leave stuff too long of a time. But I will try and see how it goes....

Angel Lady said:
Oh All I have in with mine now is a pleco .I didnt want to take the chance with noting else. But I am going to try again. I put stuff in the tank with them but it is for cleaning purposes only. I was always afraid to leave stuff too long of a time. But I will try and see how it goes....
[snapback]878071[/snapback]​
Good luck, can you let me know what you try and how it goes.
Thanks
Dan
xx

Angel Lady, since piranha are illegal in Kentucky (I've been told by numerous fish stores and the local wildlife guy), where did you get them from?

Ah! The point is, should she tell, trisha? :p

Still there, Dan. :)

Angel Lady, was my use of "Say Hey?" correct and appropriate? Or is Kentucky far enough South to ask? :alien:

I've kept several species of piranha

Pygocentrus Nattereri (Red Belly Piranha)

Serrasalmus Elongatus (Pike Piranha)

Serrasalmus Sanchezi (Probably the most common common name would be Ruby Red Spilo)

They are all pretty shy fish, they are predators, and are weary of other animals

If you want to see a feeding frenzy best to get a group of Pygos (Red Bellies / Caribas) atleast 5 or more. Pygos IMO are more aggressive in groups.

Serrasalmus piranha are generally solitary (some can be grouped but i wont get into that now)

Currently I only have 1 S. Sanchezi, here's a pic of him

397P1010008-med.jpg

Nethius said:
I've kept several species of piranha

Pygocentrus Nattereri (Red Belly Piranha)

Serrasalmus Elongatus (Pike Piranha)

Serrasalmus Sanchezi (Probably the most common common name would be Ruby Red Spilo)

They are all pretty shy fish, they are predators, and are weary of other animals

If you want to see a feeding frenzy best to get a group of Pygos (Red Bellies / Caribas) atleast 5 or more. Pygos IMO are more aggressive in groups.

Serrasalmus piranha are generally solitary (some can be grouped but i wont get into that now)

Currently I only have 1 S. Sanchezi, here's a pic of him

397P1010008-med.jpg

[snapback]885461[/snapback]​

Hes a great looking fish, how big is he? Looks about 4". Pygos seem to get confidence when grouped which is when the frenzys start.... :hey: :hey:

Dangerousdan said:
Piranhas are very shy yes, but they are better tank mates than alot of people give them credit for. (Red bellys in talking here as ive only ever kept these)
I keep mine with plecs and neons.
[snapback]875589[/snapback]​
are you talking neon tetras? :blink:

trisha1972 said:
Angel Lady, since piranha are illegal in Kentucky (I've been told by numerous fish stores and the local wildlife guy), where did you get them from?
[snapback]878302[/snapback]​
I bought them from the internet. And I dont care if they are illeagal or not . They would have to give me a good whipping to take them from me. I love mine I can even pet mine. I dont think people really understands them. I would have some more of them If I had the room. :p

Dangerousdan said:
Piranhas are very shy yes, but they are better tank mates than alot of people give them credit for. (Red bellys in talking here as ive only ever kept these)
u keep your red bellied piranahas with neons r u crazy

Kajuki17 said:
Dangerousdan said:
u keep your red bellied piranahas with neons r u crazy
[snapback]893205[/snapback]​
Y would this make me crazy? :S
Ive lost less fish in the piranha tank than many people do in "communaty tanks", infact ive only ever lost one neon, and i still beleve the Piranhas didnt kill it.
:hyper:

Most reactions

Back