Piranhas

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I think these are illegal in California. Not sure. I've met people who have.

Although I have hi fin serpaes. Do they count? :lol:

Boy, Howdy! do serpaes have sharp front teeth. But they aren't shy. Rather like to strut and flare a bunch actually. :lol:

I hear pirhanas are shy, and you have to sneak up on them in the dark to see them. And I've heard that they aren't good tank mates, either; if they get hungry your stock of pihanas will suddenly decrease. B)

I love my Piranhas I have three of them and they are babies. They will eat from my hand and let me pet them. I think they are really misunderstood. I keep my pleco in with them and it is fine in there. I feed my Piranhas shrimp everyday and they dont offer to bother anything I put in there with them. :D

Like I said, my experience with pirhanas is with tetras.

A fellow I worked with told me he had 2 pirhanas. He got up one morning and one was gone. He just assumed the other one had gotten hungry (he said he had neglected it a few days or something.) He didn't say what kind it was.

What is your avitar, Dan?

Have you had mature pirhanas, Angel Lady?

Isn't dan's pictyure a siamese tiger fish? (maybe it's not even called siamese....)

Mine is fully grown and like I said they are big babies. I would be very surprized if they were to turn on each other. I feed mine good every day so this wont happen. Atleast I hope it dont. I plan on moving them to my bedroom soon so I can keep a eye on them better...

IIRC it's a fish of the Dat(a)noid genus/family (a brackish fish grows to around th 10" mark).

With piranhas (Red belly) you need to give adequate room for the shoal size and you need a school with at least 6 or if not more or else they may tend to canabalise (standard shoal behaviour is present, if not enough fish to spread out aggression from alpha fish then one will get picked on to death).

I would not recommend any tank mates as they are like puffers but more liable to nipping (IIRC the juveniles live off of scales and fins of fish in the wild before reaching adulthood) and filtration will have to be suitabley oversized. Probably worth doubling up on cannister filters or using a sump.

I would say you would need a 6x18x18 tank to house a shoal of around 5 to 6. For plenty of experience there is a piranha forum (think of the fish in a fury... ;) ).

HIH

Andy

Well, there you go, "good old Essex boy". Do you and andywg know each other? Say, Hey! :hey:

What is IIRC? :dunno:

Where is the pirhana forum?

jollysue said:
Well, there you go, "good old Essex boy". Do you and andywg know each other? Say, Hey! :hey:

What is IIRC? :dunno:

Where is the pirhana forum?
[snapback]876850[/snapback]​
Err, I doubt we know each other, what with him living around an hour's drive (at legal speeds) away from me. And I'm confused by any inference in the post... :dunno:

IIRC If I Remember Correctly.

Do a google for piranha fury.

jollysue said:
Like I said, my experience with pirhanas is with tetras.

A fellow I worked with told me he had 2 pirhanas.  He got up one morning and one was gone.  He just assumed the other one had gotten hungry (he said he had neglected it a few days or something.)  He didn't say what kind it was.

What is your avitar, Dan?

Have you had mature pirhanas, Angel Lady?
[snapback]875798[/snapback]​

It is siamese tiger fish as couple of guys have said. (Datnioides microlepis) Freshwater - slight brackish but do fine in normal tropical and grow to up to 16"

andywg said:
IIRC it's a fish of the Dat(a)noid genus/family (a brackish fish grows to around th 10" mark).

With piranhas (Red belly) you need to give adequate room for the shoal size and you need a school with at least 6 or if not more or else they may tend to canabalise (standard shoal behaviour is present, if not enough fish to spread out aggression from alpha fish then one will get picked on to death).

I would not recommend any tank mates as they are like puffers but more liable to nipping (IIRC the juveniles live off of scales and fins of fish in the wild before reaching adulthood) and filtration will have to be suitabley oversized.  Probably worth doubling up on cannister filters or using a sump.

I would say you would need a 6x18x18 tank to house a shoal of around 5 to 6.  For plenty of experience there is a piranha forum (think of the fish in a fury... ;) ).

HIH

Andy
[snapback]876543[/snapback]​

There is a new piranha forum started which is very good anyone wanting address PM me. It just piranhas so MODs dont panic. I use it and this one all the time, it good to have more knowledge.

As for all the "Guide lines" for safe keeping of the RBP:
(What ive read not my own makings)

Allow 20 gallons per fish.

A shoal of 4 or more to avoid bullying.

(Although i have 2x 7" RBP and 1x 4" Large toothed Piranha been together for around 4months now with no problems(so far). These are in a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank with 3 common plecs, 16", 13" and a 9" and a shoal of neons.)

Keep in spieces tanks, do not mix Pygos with Serras or there will be losses.

The RBP is a very miss understood fish, mine also takes food from my hand. They are very shy and hide when im planting or cleaning, never seen aggression from them.

July7th05036.jpg

EDIT: Removed pic that was tooooooooo big.

There wasn't any inference actually . "Say, Hey!" is an American expression, Deep South actually. It meant in this instance: Consider yourselves introduced and say, 'Hi!' It's kind of like Everybody say Hi! or Howdy!

I was a little familiar. Sorry. :*)

Those are handsome fish. The first pirhanas I've seen, I think.

Most reactions

Back