Pictures Of My Planted Juwel Rio 125

just a couple of questions really. would adding mirrors or tin foil above the lights increase the brightness in the tank. also i have convicts and would like to add more plants to give it a more natural look(presuming they would find a heavily planted tank natural), question is does a heavily planted tank make cleaning harder and they tend to dig the sand alot.

thankyou :D
after thought.....can you get floating plants?

great set up by the way :look:

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 43
  • fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 60
Chris, I love the redo you did. It is very very impressive! The layout looks very nice and I like the background for a change from the standard flat solid color or picture. :good: I would think it would be worth the lost sleep, just to be able to sit and look at it. :lol:

King72--it would probably be best for you to post your own thread in the planted tank section, out of respect, since your questions have absolutely nothing to do with Chris' tank. For a quick answer here--mirrors and tinfoil are not the best reflectors, in fact, I've heard even just white paint is better! I can't remember the logistics of it but there is a reason. You can see in the picture that Chris has reflectors that are much better than either mirrors or tinfoil. Also, there are plants that float including hornwort, water lettuce, and duckweed. But Chris wouldn't want those because they would block too much light for the lower plants. Digging fish are a nightmare in a planted tank. One or the other. If your fish are the priority in your tank floating plants could benefit them if they woudln't eat them. These are all questions that have been asked a lot in the planted section so you could probably even find the answers by reading the pinned topics and/or using the search option. Go for it. There is a ton of good information there. ;)

Hi Saboy, King and TammyLiz

Saboy - list of plants from right to left (roughly):

Aponogeton longiplumulosus; large plant at back, grows from a planted bulb, grows quickly, constently flowering, has resting periods of a few weeks.
Echinodorus amazonicus (Amazon sword); well known common aquarium plant (also on other side of tank)
Microsorum pteropus (Java fern)
Microsorum pteropus 'windelor' (Lace Java fern); smaller plant with 'ruffled' leaves
Saggittaria subulata (dwarf saggitaria); grass
Nymphaea lotus 'Zentari' (red / green Tiger lotus); smaller plant at front, much larger one now moved to the centre back, these are quite stunning when they get bigger, the red acts as a real centre piece
Anbeas nana (dwarf anubias); centre foreground
Anubeas barteri (giant anubias); behind above near bog wood
Myriophyllum tubercallum (red watermilfoil); adds a lovely flash of deep red and doesn't break as much as cambomba
Hydrocotyle leucocephala (brazilian pennywort); nice plant with hap hazard growth form
Limnobiumm laevigatumn (Amazon frogbit); floating plant, reproduces like crazy by forming daughter plants, adults then die off, have to constantly thin this out!

Non of these have presented me with any real problems and are all quite 'tidy' even the red watermilfoil!

King (love the convicts! :wub: ; love chiclids full stop! :hyper: ) - yes they would increase the brightness (rougly 2xluminance) but you would be better off getting reflectors; there not that expensive and more durable (being made of much thicker sheet aluminium)

I havn't found any significant problems with cleaning, but my team of cory's do a v. good job! :D

The digging in the sand could be a problem with uprooting plants, my Aponogeton longiplumulosus for instance will float to the surface if uprooted! :(

Thanks TammyLiz for your useful comments.... ....how's things on the other side of the pond! :thanks:

Hope this helps, please keep the comment/questions coming!

CW

Chris, I see Microsorum pteropus in your list there. I have this plant as well and it is my favorite! I don't see it in your tank, though. Where is it?

TammyLiz - right behind the second stone from the left, they are small specimens (at the moment)!

The general rate of plant growth in the tank is quite incredible, the roots on the tiger lotus are around 12" long! :good: The extra lighting really helps, I am keen to see if the mid-day rest period makes much difference (it is meant to give the plants a resting preiod from photosythesizing and is reputed to increase vigour and reduce algea!).... ....we will wait and see :crazy: .

CW

Tank looks awesome. I need to do some work o my Rio 125. Bulk it up a bit with some more plants. I was thinking big plants to the sides ( the closer to the front glass the smaller the plants) leaving a gap in the middle with small plants, hopefully creating some depth.

Hi Radar,

Thast's the main reason I did a re-scape to add that all so important sense of depth; and to create more open swimming space at the front for viewing and the chiclids.

Actually after adding only a few of the plants and the smaller rocks I quick liked the less planted look :look: ... ....but this opinion didn't last long, I just love heavily planted aquascapes! :drool:

I'm fairly pleased so far but feel I have a long way to go and lots more to learn yet!

If we lived in more contempory house (ours is Georgian) I would try nd ADA style tank and scape; although I sometimes think they can look a little too clinical (I also think some are sooo open and transparent that the fish must get stressed out).

CW

Here's some pictures of my planted Juwel RIO 125

What do you think? I wish I had done a photo journal!

CW

Here's a side on view!

CW

I'm just about to get a Rio 125, and I am thinking about fitting the exact same background as Chris. I'd really like to see his pictures, so I registered to see them. But now it's telling me I can't see them even though I am registered. Could someone help me, as all I want to do is see one of these backgrounds in this type of tank.

Thanks

rjm

The new layout is looking pretty impressive, keep us updated on that ;)
I also have a Juwel Rio 125, shame I never went for some nice looking gravel like yours, I went for what was available in my local and regret that now.
Also love that background ;)

Keep up the good work

Here's some pictures of my planted Juwel RIO 125

What do you think? I wish I had done a photo journal!

CW

Here's a side on view!

CW

I'm just about to get a Rio 125, and I am thinking about fitting the exact same background as Chris. I'd really like to see his pictures, so I registered to see them. But now it's telling me I can't see them even though I am registered. Could someone help me, as all I want to do is see one of these backgrounds in this type of tank.

Thanks

rjm

I can see the pictures fine :blink:
Maybe you need to post more before you can see them, so the server doesnt think you are a spammer or something. Best thing to do, contact the mod.

RadaR said:
I can see the pictures fine :blink:
Maybe you need to post more before you can see them, so the server doesnt think you are a spammer or something. Best thing to do, contact the mod.

I checked after I read your post, to see if my posting had made a difference, but it hasn't. I still can't see the pictures. I'll PM the mod.

Thanks Radar

@Chris - Thats a lovely looking tank that you have there.
I like the first image, but the new look is definately a big improvement.

I know its a bit scary re-doing a well established tank, I just did that myself and am not entirely convinced that i did the right thing, but your bravery has definately paid off.... :good:

Incidentally, my tank is also a Rio 125, with Eco-Complete substrate, what substrate are you using?

Unfortunately, Chris hasn't been online since 28th June 2007. However it looks like it's just normal sand and gravel he was using.

Oh blimey....Sorry anout the necro, how did I manage to do that...... :crazy:

Most reactions

Back