Phosphate Reactors

13thmonkey

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
O.K. all you expirianced reefers. a few questions for you on phosphate reactors and media. as i understand it phosphate products remove phosphate from the water thereby removing a major nutrient of problem algea. i have a green hair algea breakout going on. by using one of these products would it prevent any coraline algea from forming while starving off the green hair? would it have any other effects on my reef, negitive or positive? phosphate reactors claim they are the way to go for implementing the media, but would throwing the media in a media bag and putting it on the top of my canister filter and let the water flow through it do the same thing?

Well, I use this Kent phosphate sponge for my phosphate media. Keeps my phosphates really low. I just put it in a women's nylon and stick it in a bubble wall of my sump. Piece of cake :D

low phosphates usually do NOT inhibit coraline algae. Coraline algae is usually inhibited or bottlenecked by low calc/alk. it thrives in nutrient poor water actually, so long as calc and alk are in good balance.

Do you have a refugium? What are your levels testing at, particularly pH, alkalinity and calcium? How old and what type bulbs are you running for lighting?

Don't expect a phosphate remover to be the cure as it may not be the whole problem. Plus, the phosphate removers come with their own demons. I have ceased to run any on my system.

Most reactions

Back