Ph Question

ben1234

Reaction score
Hi everybody i'm getting a small (about 10 gallon) reef going. I have a ph of 6.5 straight out of my tap without any chlorine or ammonia and i understand that i should keep the reef with about a ph of 8.0 (correct me if wrong) and i was wondering how i should go about boosting my ph.
Also when i add salt to the water will that affect my ph?
Thanks guys, -Ben

the only real thin tahat will rase our lower your ph is moss or water change salt will not change it by that much or not at all from m y oppinion but i suggest in stead of adding salt call bigals and ask them about adding salt

moss lowers ph and doing a water change would keep it a 6.5 so that wouldnt work i need a way to higher my ph

First off, I don't recommend using tap water. Why can't you go with RO water? SH

i most likely will go with ro but none the less how do you make it the right ph? do you have to use chemicals or is there a natural way?

The combination of using aragonite based substrate and mixing SW should bring your pH into range. If the pH is still off MARKEDLY, you could buffer the solution with bicarb..but..wouldn't recommend doing this in the beginning. SH

Using RO & a manufactured salt pack should bring all of your levels so somewhere very close to natural seawater. The only thing that really depletes in SW tanks is the Calcium levels as the corraline algae & corals use it up. But this all depends on what stock you buy. You might find that regular water changes will take care of this too.

remember that when you get a definite number for something such as PH...this is a "goal" or "Target" My PH chills around 7.5-7.25 range and things are fine. The ocean is a big place, and not all of it is the same.

the only real thin tahat will rase our lower your ph is moss or water change salt will not change it by that much or not at all from m y oppinion but i suggest in stead of adding salt call bigals and ask them about adding salt
Actually, by adding marine salt to the water you will raise the pH. Once you have enough salt to give sea water SG (around 1.023 to 1.026) then the pH will be higer. The use of a buffer, in the form of crushed coral, or aragonite sand, will give the right pH. the pH will actually get to where it should be, expecially if you use RO water nd then the right additives (for the water, not for pH).

yea i think the vinegar that i used to kill the aiptasia altered my Ph :(

it was 8.2, now its 8.0. Is that something to worry about and if so, how do i get it back up to like 8.2-8.4??

my clean up crew is arriving soon so i wanna get this problem fixed

thanks

remember that when you get a definite number for something such as PH...this is a "goal" or "Target" My PH chills around 7.5-7.25 range and things are fine. The ocean is a big place, and not all of it is the same.

HUH?!! A ph that low almost has to be a product of a bad test kit. Yes the ocean is a big place, with a ph that will be above 7.8 in almost every area of it at any given time.

could i use baking soda????

i know that works for freshwater

theres no inhabitants in the tank yet, so the sudden change in the Ph wont affect anything

am i right??
lemme kno

could i use baking soda????

i know that works for freshwater

theres no inhabitants in the tank yet, so the sudden change in the Ph wont affect anything

am i right??
lemme kno

nope thats for fresh water only and will kill any corals you add in the future goto your LFS and ask for a buffer thats phosphate and copper free

also for Reefs use RO water you will need a rundown of whats in ur water in england we get 10mgl of phosphate you need it under .50 mgl to keep reefs, good salt will set your PH perfectly for you such as reef crytals that has an extra messure of Ca and Mag good stuff...

Hi..sorry, but, I totally disagree. If you look at Kent's Marine buffer, it is mostly baking soda. Baking soda is totally fine to use to adjust the pH in your tank. The only problem is that over time, you have to make sure that your calcium levels remain within normal range. SH

Most reactions

Back