Peruvian Puffers?

sami the cichlid

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i was told these were congo puffers......i dont think they are now......
17082010303.jpg

17082010304.jpg

Those are Colomesus asellus. The black band around the caudal peduncle is diagnostic of this species. Wee bit thin, but nothing a few square meals won't fix.

Cheers, Neale

Thanks :) well im going to keep them, i have learned about them, and learned that i was told a load of rubbish at the store! they will have their own tank soon enough
w00t.gif

And very fun they are too! A trio will keep you amused for many years. Give them 30 gallons or more to swim about in, a good strong current, and lots of plants, especially floating plants. Choose other tankmates with care, but retiring catfish like dwarf Synodontis and bristlenose cats work great. Also fast loaches. Midwater fish are risky, but fast-moving barbs and tetras should be fine. In many ways among the best puffers; they are extremely hardy but do review their needs for occasional dental work.

Cheers, Neale

Thanks :) well im going to keep them, i have learned about them, and learned that i was told a load of rubbish at the store! they will have their own tank soon enough
w00t.gif

hi, just saying there all settled in now, and are happily eating and buzzing around the tank!

but i saw this on one of them, the white mark near his fin. i think its just where its been bitten by another puffer (they were rather crowded in the store) but i'll just post it here to get other views.
18082010322.jpg

thats the best picture i could get of him! they are to fast!

Very occasionally SAPs nip each other, but it's not common and wounds heal rapidly. Possibly it's to do with hierarchy. These really are gregarious fish, so you can expect them to settle down.

Cheers, Neale

are u having any bother with fin nipping your other tankmates as mine are really quite bad for it and had to be put in a tank on there own?

are u having any bother with fin nipping your other tankmates as mine are really quite bad for it and had to be put in a tank on there own?

no, mine seem very settled, every now and then they may chase a tetra for a second, but otherwise they seem fine, infact the barb seems to annoy them more! they are very new though, but i think they are settled in.

Rosy barbs are nippy, and a singleton especially so!

Neons are a bit dozy, so wouldn't have been my first choice. Do remember both neons and rosy barbs like cool conditions, so if the temperature is above 24 C/75 F, turn the darn heater down! SAPs will be fine at 23-24 C, but I wouldn't take them much below that.

Cheers, Neale

Rosy barbs are nippy, and a singleton especially so!

Neons are a bit dozy, so wouldn't have been my first choice. Do remember both neons and rosy barbs like cool conditions, so if the temperature is above 24 C/75 F, turn the darn heater down! SAPs will be fine at 23-24 C, but I wouldn't take them much below that.

Cheers, Neale

the tank is at about 24C so no worries, and i plan to move the sa's out into my empty 22G when its set up and cycled. For now they seem fine, and they are settled and happy by the looks of their behaviour. :)

You have red torpedo barbs at 26 C??? These fish are happiest around 20 C, and in the wild experience winters a good deal colder than that. They DO NOT live long at tropical temperatures.

Honestly, keeping Puntius conchonius, Puntius denisonii and Puntius semifasciolatus above 22 C is crazy, and you should really allow the tank to cool down in winter and warm up in summer. All three species are subtropical -- not tropical -- fish and should be kept accordingly.

Cheers, Neale

my barbs are 2 torpedo 1 rosy and 1 green

temperature normally sits at 26

torpedos water can be anything from 15-26 degrees, had them almost a year and they love it in my tank

When you've had them seven years, then come tell me they love the tank. Overheating the aquarium will shorten their lifespan; it won't obviously make them ill.

The 15-26 C measurement on Fishbase and elsewhere reflects the winter and summer EXTREMES. It has nothing to do with them being happy at both indefinitely. A wise aquarist choose a value in the middle of that range. Since your other fish are subtropical as well, arguing over this is pointless. They'd all be happier kept cooler. Plus you'd save money and you'd need to feed them less, meaning water quality would be better. There are NO arguments in favour of keeping them at 26 C.

Cheers, Neale

torpedos water can be anything from 15-26 degrees, had them almost a year and they love it in my tank

Most reactions

Back