Peppered corydoras question

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have 4 corydoras paleatus and noticed some developments in their coloration since I got them. 2 of them have darker bodies with many more spots, and 2 have fewer spots and are lighter colored. Is that due to gender? Their behavior is fine and they are showing no signs of any disease.

Not a gender thing. Some of mine are similar to how you've described. Gender comes down to size and is more obvious with palaetus in my opinion. Once they're a couple of months old the larger ones (almost twice the size than the rest) you can pretty much guarantee are female.
I think of the lighter coloured ones as how us lot might have blonde or brown hair etc you know?
@NCaquatics can tell us

Not a gender thing. Some of mine are similar to how you've described. Gender comes down to size and is more obvious with palaetus in my opinion. Once they're a couple of months old the larger ones (almost twice the size than the rest) you can pretty much guarantee are female.
I think of the lighter coloured ones as how us lot might have blonde or brown hair etc you know?
@NCaquatics can tell us
Yea I could definitely see it being genetics. I think I can already tell I have one male, he's a chonker. Glad to hear its not a health issue :)!

Nothing to worry about then?
Nah. Mine vary quite a bit too. Especially when the boys were smaller, they were a lot lighter than my girls. I got them from different sources as well.

received_235256960998305.jpeg.jpg

Yea I could definitely see it being genetics. I think I can already tell I have one male, he's a chonker. Glad to hear its not a health issue :)!
The chonkier ones tend to be the females with cories though. :D

Most reactions

Back