Papa John's Dang Near Killed Me

MuddyWaters

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok that's an exaggeration, but OMG man, I thought my mouth was going to catch fire!

<minor rant>
My wife and I have been focused on eating right and have lost a lot of weight as a result. Pizza has not been part of that. However, this evening I ordered some Papa Johns just because. It's not that great, but it's ok and I was just wanting a quick bite.

Anyway, they always put one or 2 banana peppers in the box with the pizza. I like those, so I always eat them. Tonight I popped the pepper into my mouth and the first thing I noticed was that it was very chewy. Then it got VERY hot! OMG y'all, I have eaten a lot of banana peppers but this thing was way off the charts LOL.

I drank water, then I chewed ice, then I drank more water, chewed more ice....anyway, I'm not dead and my nose has almost stopped running, but I will be looking at those dadgum peppers a little more warily - or maybe that was just a hint that I don't need this dang pizza- way better pizza out there anyway.
</minor rant>

hope your night (or morning or day) is going well, and thank you for reading my little foot-stamping rant.

I thought consuming milk or sour cream was the solution
I have heard that too- I did find an ice cream sandwich in the freezer which I promptly shoved in my mouth, LOL, but milk makes my stomach really angry with me, so I stuck to ice water.

I also had a friend tell me that putting a spoonful of sugar in your mouth and letting it melt would work. Not for me LOL (didn't try that this time)- just overly sweet pain....

Capsaicin can be neutralized by the protein casein, which is found in a lot of dairy products and is why dairy is recommended for pain relief from hot peppers. Cheese tends to have pretty high casein content compared to less processed dairy products like milk. Capsaicin is also fat-soluble, so consuming things high in fat, especially dairy products high in fat, can also help remove some of the capsaicin from your mouth.

As weird as it sounds, I think the technique that'd be most effective is taking a swig of heavy cream, gently swishing it in your mouth for a minute, and then spitting it out

which is always heartbreaking to me considering I am allergic to the casein, not the lactose, of dairy 🥲
Oh no! You don't hear about casein allergies very often. At least plant-based milks and dairy alternatives have gotten a lot better over the past decade or so. I hear that even plant-based cheese is getting to be alright now.

Reminds me of when my brother in law came to visit. He loved chillis and the hotter the better. I had a bunch of different varieties starting with a mild 1/10 heat rating. Anyway, the bro in law found out I had chillis and wanted to try them so I started him off with the mild ones and worked my way up. He said they were weak, blah blah blah. We got up to one that had a 7/10 heat rating and he said it was warm but still weak. I gave him the last one I had, which was called black pearl and had a 9/10 rating. He tried it and said it was weaker than the others. About 30 seconds later he started going red and sweating and ran inside to get a drink. It turns out the weak little black pearl takes a bit of time to kick in but he said it was hot :)

Speaking of the black pearl chilli. I gave a plant to a friend who had a couple of dogs. One of the dogs used to eat the chillis off the plant and didn't even break a sweat. Everyone who tried them said they burn but this dog used to go and eat any it could find. It was a nice dog but obviously didn't have any sensors in its mouth :)

Nowadays there are chillis with a 15/10 rating like the Carolina reaper and Trindad scorpion, which tend to burn your hands if you don't wear gloves when handling the seeds or cutting the chillis up.

Water just makes it hotter. Milk works and you don't have to swallow it just take a mouth full and spit it out. Pepto works as well. My family is Hispanic/Latino, grew up eating chile, habañero, serrano, jalapeño etc etc..just glad you didn't touch your eyes or pick your nose lmao. I've done both its not fun

Reminds me of when my brother in law came to visit. He loved chillis and the hotter the better. I had a bunch of different varieties starting with a mild 1/10 heat rating. Anyway, the bro in law found out I had chillis and wanted to try them so I started him off with the mild ones and worked my way up. He said they were weak, blah blah blah. We got up to one that had a 7/10 heat rating and he said it was warm but still weak. I gave him the last one I had, which was called black pearl and had a 9/10 rating. He tried it and said it was weaker than the others. About 30 seconds later he started going red and sweating and ran inside to get a drink. It turns out the weak little black pearl takes a bit of time to kick in but he said it was hot :)

Speaking of the black pearl chilli. I gave a plant to a friend who had a couple of dogs. One of the dogs used to eat the chillis off the plant and didn't even break a sweat. Everyone who tried them said they burn but this dog used to go and eat any it could find. It was a nice dog but obviously didn't have any sensors in its mouth :)

Nowadays there are chillis with a 15/10 rating like the Carolina reaper and Trindad scorpion, which tend to burn your hands if you don't wear gloves when handling the seeds or cutting the chillis up.

That dog was Mexican 😂😂

Haha, my dad used to grow Reapers and Brain peppers in the garden, and then make what my mom and I would call "hell sauce" to try with the neighbor guy. It was always a sight to see my dad (about 5' 10") with my neighbor (around 6' 5") crying and begging their wives to run to the store and get ice cream after they would do those "one chip" challenges or the little gummy bear thing (lil' nitro?).

Most reactions

Back