Paleatus Or Aeneus?

Spishkey

Spishkeys Turtle Rescue
Reaction score
have just found an advert from a bloke who seems to live nearby, who is selling both of the above type corys.

now if i bought them, would they live together ok, and would they mix with sterbai? ( i know they wouldnt cross breed but i just wondered would they livehappily as a mixed group?) or are they better being kept in their 'own' groups?

i have to buy them all (5 paleatus and 10 aeneus plus 6 babies) as he is selling them so cheaply its a bargin
(€1,20 for adults, €0,70 for 2cm long babies)

With at least 6 of one and 10 of the other, they would be happy in the same tank but would not likely shoal together.

few things Spishkey

C.paleatus are a cooler water cory, therefore should be kept around 20-22c. C.aeneus will be happy around 22-24c and C.sterbai are a warmer water cory and do best at 26-30c. A alot of people keep C.sterbai with Discus for this very reason.

Therefore, for them to live a long and happy life, they really shouldnt be mixed as they prefer different temps to live pleasently.

HTH

geezer.

thats the kind of thing i was hoping someone would tell me! thank you, i shall give them a miss for now then until i get a seperate tank :)

iv keept
bronze and peppers together for 2 years with no problems if you can put them in there own tank they will live qiute happy together

iv keept
bronze and peppers together for 2 years with no problems if you can put them in there own tank they will live qiute happy together

no one is questioning they wont live together, however, if you expose C.paleatus to higher temps, it will live, but will not live a full life expectancy. Corys can live for up to 10-15 years plus, so long as they are kept in the conditions they are used to :) Keeping any cory in incorrect water temps will shorten its life.

drewry Posted Today, 12:23 AM
iv keept

geezer2008 Posted Today, 08:06 PM

no one is questioning they wont live together, however, if you expose C.paleatus to higher temps, it will live, but will not live a full life expectancy. Corys can live for up to 10-15 years plus, so long as they are kept in the conditions they are used to Keeping any cory in incorrect water temps will shorten its life.

So basically Spishkey could buy these fish now and rehouse them at a later date with no problems?

drewry Posted Today, 12:23 AM
iv keept

geezer2008 Posted Today, 08:06 PM

no one is questioning they wont live together, however, if you expose C.paleatus to higher temps, it will live, but will not live a full life expectancy. Corys can live for up to 10-15 years plus, so long as they are kept in the conditions they are used to Keeping any cory in incorrect water temps will shorten its life.

So basically Spishkey could buy these fish now and rehouse them at a later date with no problems?

i would never advise anyone to keep a fish in unsuitable conditions. I have personally left fish before that i have looked for, for ages and stumbled across by accident, because i couldnt take them home and house them correctly.

However, i guess its each to their own at the end of the day :)

Sorry if I am wrong but is planetcatfish wrong?

On there it says:
Aeneus = 21.0-27.0°C or 69.8-80.6°F
Paleatus = 15.0-25.0°C or 59-77°F
Sterbai = 24.0-28.0°C or 75.2-82.4°F

Would this not imply that 24-25ºC would be OK for all 3?

AC

you are right SuperColey1
you could keep all 3 at 24-25 oc with no problems and it wouldent shorten there lives at all :good:

you are right SuperColey1
you could keep all 3 at 24-25 oc with no problems and it wouldent shorten there lives at all :good:

ok, dont say you werent warned :good:

taken from scotcat...

Temp:
22-26°C (71-79°F)
pH.:
6.0-7.2.

taken from Aquatic Community

parameters: Temperature 25-28°C / 78-82°F; pH 6.0 – 8.0

taken from Aquatic Hobbyist

Water Temperature:
68 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit (20 to 24 degrees Celsius).

all found by a google search.

My info comes from Ian Fuller....

so which one you gonna beleive LOL

I agree with geezer2008, if you keep C. paleatus at 24/25 C, you're keeping them at the top end of their temperature range, which will speed up their metabolism and definitely shorten their lifespan in the long run; they're really sub-tropical fish like zebra danios and white cloud mountain minnows. It's the equivalent of keeping C. aeneus at 27/28 C all the time, which, if you think about it, most people would never do (thankfully). As for other species of Corydoras like C. sterbai, I don't know but assume that what's been said about them is accurate.

Most reactions

Back