Overstocking?

uberape

Reaction score
id like to hear if this tank is over stocked before i go and buy another butterfly fish, i am worried about fish health. 34 uk gallon (40 us), fluval 4 plus internal filter (1000 Litres per hour)

1 pantadon buchholzi: african butterfly fish 2.5"
1 ctenopoma aqutirostre: leopard bush fish 3"
7 black phantom tetra 1.2"
2 x-ray tetra 1.2"
1 banjo catfish 2"
3 laetacara dorsigera 2.5", 2x 1.5" (juveniles)
1 female betta 1.5"

im going to give away the betta if that will be possible and get another butterfly fish; as i am convinced this will aid his skittishness. i am aware that the bush fish is not going to be very comfortable as he grows but ill cross that bridge.

What are the dimensions of this tank?

Pantodon buchholzi get on fine in groups as long as each fish can have a ~30x30cm area of water surface, if you are able to give them some natural barriers like floating plants or fake ones it will help (plus they will enjoy being able to "sit" on or hide under the leaves).

Unless you come back with a really odd dimensions tank, I don't think you will need to worry about your singleton Ctenopoma acutirostre. My four spent last summer in my Rio240 and they are a little bigger than your specimen, they are very sedatory (like ABF) for their adult size and you don't have to worry about the odd conspecific chasing that sometimes goes on amongst my group. Give him/her an intresting layout with bogwood tunnels and an area of bushy live/fake plants to lurk in at times and it will be very happy. Just keep an eye on smaller tankmates, my ~11cm one "yawned" this afternoon and his extendable mouth revealed a ~1.5cm chasm!

I found a very helpful website that lists most of the commonly found fish found in the hobby. It's very helpful in letting you know if you are overstocked or how close you are to being overstocked, if you have enough filtration, what range of pH and softness needs to be maintained for particular fish, and gives you warnings for particular fish (i.e., aggressive fish, fish that may jump out, etc.).

Here's the website: http://www.##150###.com/##150###.php

EDIT: Ok, not sure why the copy/paste doesn't work with links, but the first section should be ##150### and the second section should be ##150###. Hopefully this helps.

2nd EDIT: Why aren't I able to add this? Very strange.

i am actually quite proud of my ctenepoma and apisto friendly tank, ill post a terrible picture of it. thanks for the info, that site doesnt work for me bytheway.

tank.jpg

Fishy friend2: because ##150###.com is a banned website on TFF :good:

Gee, seems pretty reliable to me....If anything, a bit concervative on stocking.

It's ok for a very very vague outline but IME it's unreliable.

Besides questionable reliability, it has had multiple issues of loading malware when accessed. For these reasons it is filtered.

Besides questionable reliability, it has had multiple issues of loading malware when accessed. For these reasons it is filtered.

That's why iPhones and iPods are great! :) they can't get viruses...... somehow.....

Most reactions

Back