Overstocked?

hakisuma_chan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have five mollies, one betta, two african dwarf frogs, and a few ghost shrimp in a 10 gallon aquarium. I heard it's supposed to be a 1 fish per gallon thing.

I would say get rid of the betta, and you should be good. You have to count the fact that bettas are aggressive.

I think you mean the inch per gallon rule, if it were a fish per gallon you could like put discus in a 10 gallon tank!

Oh, yes. My betta gets along fine with the rest. She even swims around in their little group. Many people have had success with mixing mollies and bettas...thank you, though.

I guess I assumed that people would think I was speaking of the 'average' sized fish they sell in Petco or Petsmart... But yes, that's what I heard. One molly-sized fish per gallon....

And uhh, is it overstocked? XD Thanks for the replies, but you didn't really answer the question... :X

dont mean to go off the subject but

so sorry to hear your lose with kiki mommyof2bettas i read the thread the other day- sad news

wots a ??????van cat

and any gup fry delighted you lately?

for the original question and the reply to the response about the betta, bettas not always aggressive just not good with other fish that have any sort of fancy fins

"so sorry to hear your lose with kiki mommyof2bettas i read the thread the other day- sad news

wots a ??van cat

and any gup fry delighted you lately?"

~XDDD I think you have me confused with someone else... I don't have any guppies. I have black and silver mollies. XDD I can tell you're a nice person, though. :D And I wish I was delighted with fry.... I've seen one so far, but it died because one of my stupid ghost shrimp managed to catch it... I didn't see it until my sister pointed it out. I didn't believe her at first. ("Wth are you talking about? I didn't buy a tiny black fish...Oh...OHH!!! HOLY CRAP WHERE'S THE NET?!) But yeah...it died. I was pissed and sad. :(

And again, haha, I think you think that I'm the guppy person and thus keeping my betta with guppies...I have mollies, and they're getting along swell! Yeah. Is it overstocked, though? ?_?;

so sorry to hear your lose with kiki mommyof2bettas i read the thread the other day- sad news

wots a ??????van cat

for the original question and the reply to the response about the betta, bettas not always aggressive just not good with other fish that have any sort of fancy fins

To answer your question, I believe the mollies will grow too big for a 10-gal. They can get to about 3" or maybe more, and they're pretty active. However, if you can move them out or trade them in, a few platies would work good there. I have set-up that's housed a few platies and a female betta along with ADFs in a 10-gal for almost a year now. I've had not the first spot of trouble, but I wouldn't tell anyone to try it. However, since you're already trying it and it's working out ok then I think it'd be safe to at least give it a go with the platies.
My fm betta Sally loves the platies... they all swim together and even sleep close to one another. I guess maybe bc they're shaped similar but they don't have any long fancy tails. I really don't know. I used to keep Sally in a 2-g bowl next to the 10-g and she would always hang out on the side nearest the tank, and the platies too. So I tried it one day and they've been great. I think the betta may would try to eat the ghosties though. Again, trial and error and at least with them it's not too expensive if they become a snack.
Hope this helps!

I would say it is just because the bettas are some-what aggressive with other fish( exspecially the males) and if it is one gallon per fish, i mollie is on average 1 to 2 inches, and bettas are usually 2 inches so that would add up about about 11 gallons if you said that the mollies were 1 and a half inches. And the bettas are semi-aggressive. So, I would say keep the mollies and get rid of the betta and your set!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D'oh! Someone told me mollies stayed this size...(they're currently around 1.5 inches) Uhh... I'm already attatched to them!!! TT_TT They're so cute...but dumb...but cute, too. Bah! :unsure: What to do? TT_TT

My betta is amazing, she's my favorite fish of all. (Or maybe a male plackat, I really am not sure now...>_>;) She hangs out with the mollies all the time, and sometimes when I just glance at my fishtank, my betta blends in with the black mollies. Hehe.

Yours sleep together? I belive I've seen bettas sleep, but I can't claim that I've seen mollies. What do they do? Do they sleep like bettas?

As for the ghosts, when I got them, my betta just glanced at them, followed a big one around for like, half a minute then wandered off. The ghosts tend to seclude themselves in the hornwort plant anyway...and most of them are gigantic. They're as big as my betta (head and tail fin excluded) I don't think my betta can open 'her' mouth that wide...XD

Speaking of big betta mouths...have you seen yours "yawn"? My betta opens her mouth really wide on occasion, slowly, and it looks like a yawn. The mouth extends from the mouth, farther than usual...I was amused. :D

To answer your question, I believe the mollies will grow too big for a 10-gal. They can get to about 3" or maybe more, and they're pretty active. However, if you can move them out or trade them in, a few platies would work good there. I have set-up that's housed a few platies and a female betta along with ADFs in a 10-gal for almost a year now. I've had not the first spot of trouble, but I wouldn't tell anyone to try it. However, since you're already trying it and it's working out ok then I think it'd be safe to at least give it a go with the platies.
My fm betta Sally loves the platies... they all swim together and even sleep close to one another. I guess maybe bc they're shaped similar but they don't have any long fancy tails. I really don't know. I used to keep Sally in a 2-g bowl next to the 10-g and she would always hang out on the side nearest the tank, and the platies too. So I tried it one day and they've been great. I think the betta may would try to eat the ghosties though. Again, trial and error and at least with them it's not too expensive if they become a snack.
Hope this helps!

"so sorry to hear your lose with kiki mommyof2bettas i read the thread the other day- sad news

wots a ??van cat

~XDDD I think you have me confused with someone else... I don't have any guppies. I have black and silver mollies. XDD I can tell you're a nice person, though. :D And I wish I was delighted with fry.... I've seen one so far, but it died because one of my stupid ghost shrimp managed to catch it... I didn't see it until my sister pointed it out. I didn't believe her at first. ("Wth are you talking about? I didn't buy a tiny black fish...Oh...OHH!!! HOLY CRAP WHERE'S THE NET?!) But yeah...it died. I was pissed and sad. :(

And again, haha, I think you think that I'm the guppy person and thus keeping my betta with guppies...I have mollies, and they're getting along swell! Yeah. Is it overstocked, though? ?_?;

wots a ??????van cat

sorry the reply was meant fo partly you and mommyof2bettas, mommyof2bettas has got gups------sorry to confuse you there
i got silver mollie due in 2weeks and its a sod when they get caught had that prob with my platy fry
i wasnt critizing you even though it prob did seem like it..............oh well HELLO new friend :lol:

Is it possible to get a larger tank? Even a 20-gal long would help a lot.
I bet she hangs with them just like mine does with the platies. Must be the shape of them or something.
I can't say I've ever seen her yawn, but she is loaded with eggs! I feel so sorry for her, I tried to breed her once but the male ran away from her! And she's really pretty.... she's a crowntail with a very bright blue head, dark blue from about the neck down (I know, they don't really have necks, but you know what I mean), and her ventral fins are dark red.

D'oh! Someone told me mollies stayed this size...(they're currently around 1.5 inches) Uhh... I'm already attatched to them!!! TT_TT They're so cute...but dumb...but cute, too. Bah! :unsure: What to do? TT_TT

My betta is amazing, she's my favorite fish of all. (Or maybe a male plackat, I really am not sure now...>_>;) She hangs out with the mollies all the time, and sometimes when I just glance at my fishtank, my betta blends in with the black mollies. Hehe.

Yours sleep together? I belive I've seen bettas sleep, but I can't claim that I've seen mollies. What do they do? Do they sleep like bettas?

As for the ghosts, when I got them, my betta just glanced at them, followed a big one around for like, half a minute then wandered off. The ghosts tend to seclude themselves in the hornwort plant anyway...and most of them are gigantic. They're as big as my betta (head and tail fin excluded) I don't think my betta can open 'her' mouth that wide...XD

Speaking of big betta mouths...have you seen yours "yawn"? My betta opens her mouth really wide on occasion, slowly, and it looks like a yawn. The mouth extends from the mouth, farther than usual...I was amused. :D

Ohh, haha, my bad. XD

Nono, I didn't think you were criticising at all. XD Hello to you too! :D

wots a ??van cat

wots a ??????van cat

sorry the reply was meant fo partly you and mommyof2bettas, mommyof2bettas has got gups------sorry to confuse you there
i got silver mollie due in 2weeks and its a sod when they get caught had that prob with my platy fry
i wasnt critizing you even though it prob did seem like it..............oh well HELLO new friend :lol:

Kribinsis & Fishwatcher:

Around how much do 20 gallons cost? And how big? *looks in wallet* ="= oO(.......curses!) That means I'll have to upgrade my airpump, my undergravel filter, my lights, heater...get more gravel...Uhh. Crap.

fishwatcher: My "female" betta....yeah....back when I thought she was a female, I tried to breed her...XDD....not gonna say anything else. XDD He/She's beautiful, though. Like, you look at her, and she looks kinda plain, but when she flares or you see her in the light, it's like...the darkside of a rainbow. Seriously. It's metallic, and her "whiskers" (those traily thingies angelfish have) are pure white. :blush: I really love my betta. XD <3
Your betta sounds really pretty!! I got a blue crowntail male betta for my friend, he sounds like the male version of yours. :D I rescued him from Petco...XDD

depends where you are from. In the U.S. a plain 20g with hood is about 60-80 dollars. If you want clear healthy water, trash the UG and get a bio-wheel external filter, they are awsome.

Most reactions

Back