Overstocked?

:blink: HOOOOly crap that's expensive. What's UG? And I got my 10 gallon for less than 10 dollars at Walmart...what a big price jump! :S

depends where you are from. In the U.S. a plain 20g with hood is about 60-80 dollars. If you want clear healthy water, trash the UG and get a bio-wheel external filter, they are awsome.

They have a 20g kit, with the hood, light and filter, from walmart for about $60, then if you need to add a heater it'd run about $15-20. Your old heater may work though, depending on how many watts it is. I have found that I like only about 1/2-3/4" of substrate in my tank, so you may have enough to spread it out, or at most add another $3 bag from WalMart. You can always look out for a used tank too. Sometimes you can get an even larger used tank for what you'd pay for a smaller new one. (I just bought a 30-g with hood, light and stand for $60.)
Your betta sounds beautiful!!! Do you have any pix of her?

I would say it is just because the bettas are some-what aggressive with other fish( exspecially the males) and if it is one gallon per fish, i mollie is on average 1 to 2 inches, and bettas are usually 2 inches so that would add up about about 11 gallons if you said that the mollies were 1 and a half inches. And the bettas are semi-aggressive. So, I would say keep the mollies and get rid of the betta and your set!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mollies, 1 to 2"? I don't know where your getting your info from but its wrong, I think balloons might average off at about 2", however normal sized mollies are usually 4", 5", even 6", depending on what type they are. Too big for a 10 gallon (as its already been pointed out).

hakisuma_chan, a 20 gallon long shouldn't be too much, if you go with a used tank you'll save LOADS of money. If you buy everything brand new your looking at over $100. So defently go the 2nd hand route, you could even find tanks for free quite easily! A 20 gallon long is 30" by 12" by 13". I love mine, the extra length is great and IMO they look larger then a standard 20. You also have more surface area so can have more fish then in a normal 20 gallon.

No, but I'll get one!! XDD I apologize in advance....the lighting in my room SUCKS (overhead light, I never turn on being the vampiristic person I am, and the window is barred, screened, has mini blinds, as well as curtains....not to mention the giant lemon tree planted right in front of it) XDD but I'll be sure to upload one for you. Uhh, do you have AIM or MSN or something like that?

They have a 20g kit, with the hood, light and filter, from walmart for about $60, then if you need to add a heater it'd run about $15-20. Your old heater may work though, depending on how many watts it is. I have found that I like only about 1/2-3/4" of substrate in my tank, so you may have enough to spread it out, or at most add another $3 bag from WalMart. You can always look out for a used tank too. Sometimes you can get an even larger used tank for what you'd pay for a smaller new one. (I just bought a 30-g with hood, light and stand for $60.)
Your betta sounds beautiful!!! Do you have any pix of her?

Yes, my bad. Should've done more research...but I have black and silver mollies. Do they grow to 6"?

I'll look in the classifieds....but really, I don't really think my madre will let me...but again, my fault. Maybe I'll give my mollies to my friend (she has a 55 gallon with mollies and platies) and just get a few platies...but I'm already pretty attatched to them. :sad: Thanks for the info.

I would say it is just because the bettas are some-what aggressive with other fish( exspecially the males) and if it is one gallon per fish, i mollie is on average 1 to 2 inches, and bettas are usually 2 inches so that would add up about about 11 gallons if you said that the mollies were 1 and a half inches. And the bettas are semi-aggressive. So, I would say keep the mollies and get rid of the betta and your set!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mollies, 1 to 2"? I don't know where your getting your info from but its wrong, I think balloons might average off at about 2", however normal sized mollies are usually 4", 5", even 6", depending on what type they are. Too big for a 10 gallon (as its already been pointed out).

hakisuma_chan, a 20 gallon long shouldn't be too much, if you go with a used tank you'll save LOADS of money. If you buy everything brand new your looking at over $100. So defently go the 2nd hand route, you could even find tanks for free quite easily! A 20 gallon long is 30" by 12" by 13". I love mine, the extra length is great and IMO they look larger then a standard 20. You also have more surface area so can have more fish then in a normal 20 gallon.

ive noticed the responses saying about the aggressiveness if fighters...while the males are i have found my females perfectl gentle with everyhting in the tank. i currently have gouramis, tetras and barbs in the tank with my bettas and there are absolutely no probs whatsoever. i keep a close eye on this stuff as any aggressiveness is not tolerated in my tank and those who are agressive are not allowed t stay in the tank.

100_1268.jpg

just a pic of my girl cause i love her lol

100_1332a.jpg

i think if anything you should just owrk on getting a tank big enough to handle everyone. this is not because of the agression (as i see none with female bettas) but more just more biological and physical comfort

6" mollies???...are these some kind of godzilla mollies?? im sorry to question this as i see you have many posts accumulated but as much as they can grow to 5" or so your average mollie will not grow that big. ive seen many mollies and the biggest i have seen is maybe 3 1/2". i work in a fish shop and even there our biggest mollies are around the same size as i just mentioned. i think as much as they 'can' grow this big i think as an average it cant be said that they WILL grow this big. i have mollies of my own that are healthy happy girls and boys and no one reaches this size

Yes, they can get to 6", however your right its wouldn't be very common.
Size: Males Up to 6" (15cm), females larger
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile24.html

Size - Weight - Wild Coloration:
Short-finned Molly, P. sphenops grows between 2.38 - 4 inches (6 - 10 cm) in the aquarium, and up to 8 inches (20 cm) in nature. Their prominent natural color being a blue body often with yellow or red fins.
Sailfin Molly, P. latipinna grows between 4 - 6 inches (6 - 10 cm) in the aquarium, and up to 8 inches (20 cm) in nature. Their prominent natural color is a green body often with black dots and a large dorsal fin on the male.
Mexican Sailfin Molly, P. velifera grows between 4 - 6 inches (6 - 10 cm) in the aquarium, and up to 8 inches (20 cm) in nature. Their prominent natural color is usually a green body often with dark dots and a large sail-like dorsal fin on the male, there is also often an albino strain.
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/livebearers/molly.php

A lot of people seem to be over excited and reading poor information unfortunately. You would be very lucky if your Mollies stopped at 2" in length. 3" I could buy, but I've got a few growing past that mark right now. Platies will hit about 2" in length, but certainly not Mollies. Just asking in these forums would reveal a few Molly keepers that would tell you their fish are certainly longer than 3" in length. Hopefully we can all get the right information so we can keep our tanks stocked properly.

I've read (it probably isn't right) that fish, on their condition, grow to withold the size of their environment. So, five mollies in a 10 gallon tank with various other shrimp/frogs/betta would probably be stunted??? I'm being a horrible person, but I'm kinda hping that's what will happen, because I really don't want to give them away and I don't have the budget to up-size everything. But I suppose if I absolutely have to, I will. :/ Thanks.

A lot of people seem to be over excited and reading poor information unfortunately. You would be very lucky if your Mollies stopped at 2" in length. 3" I could buy, but I've got a few growing past that mark right now. Platies will hit about 2" in length, but certainly not Mollies. Just asking in these forums would reveal a few Molly keepers that would tell you their fish are certainly longer than 3" in length. Hopefully we can all get the right information so we can keep our tanks stocked properly.

= o Your betta is beautiful!! I used to have a white-bodied one with red tails and fins...unfortunately, she jumped and killed herself. :shout: Thanks for sharing the pictures, I like the fish that's in the first picture and in your icon. What is it? Is it a gourami? (I think that's how you spell it) What are they like?

Bettas can be so sweet sometimes. I absolutely love them. D'aw!! Thanks!

ive noticed the responses saying about the aggressiveness if fighters...while the males are i have found my females perfectl gentle with everyhting in the tank. i currently have gouramis, tetras and barbs in the tank with my bettas and there are absolutely no probs whatsoever. i keep a close eye on this stuff as any aggressiveness is not tolerated in my tank and those who are agressive are not allowed t stay in the tank.

100_1268.jpg

just a pic of my girl cause i love her lol

100_1332a.jpg

i think if anything you should just owrk on getting a tank big enough to handle everyone. this is not because of the agression (as i see none with female bettas) but more just more biological and physical comfort

6" mollies???...are these some kind of godzilla mollies?? im sorry to question this as i see you have many posts accumulated but as much as they can grow to 5" or so your average mollie will not grow that big. ive seen many mollies and the biggest i have seen is maybe 3 1/2". i work in a fish shop and even there our biggest mollies are around the same size as i just mentioned. i think as much as they 'can' grow this big i think as an average it cant be said that they WILL grow this big. i have mollies of my own that are healthy happy girls and boys and no one reaches this size

A great and inexpensive method for upsizing is using clear rubbermaid totes. Make sure it's a heavy duty one though, as that water pressure is a killer. Granted, even the clear totes aren't as clear as glass, but for cost-effectiveness it can't be beat.

Oo, thanks. Can you give me a link to a picture? :D

A great and inexpensive method for upsizing is using clear rubbermaid totes. Make sure it's a heavy duty one though, as that water pressure is a killer. Granted, even the clear totes aren't as clear as glass, but for cost-effectiveness it can't be beat.

Most reactions

Back