overflow plumbing

JJ1234567

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Im upgrading my tank to a bigger one. Several reasons I wont get into just yet. Im still new to Marine keeping, and I have never done an overflow/sump. I would like some guidance in what is required?

Will be upgrading to a 36wideX18deepX20tall ( roughly 62 US gals )

I wanted to do the protien skimmer in the sump, and set up a mini refugum. Over head space is not an issue since I am building my own stand. I already have a 20gal long tank for the sump.

Questions:

1> recommended in sump skimmer
2> how do you plumb that in?
3> recommended sump pump
4> plumbing it in
5> can you put the heaters in the sump instead of main tank?
6> overall plumbing order?

thanks for any answers.

JJ....I'd flash the Batman light into the sky for Navarre on this one. He has extensive experience with designing sumps. I can tell you that you can definitely put your equipment, heater, etc into the sump to get it out of the main tank. SH

I would recommend a Euro-reef or an ASM protein skimmer. I run my skimmer off of my overflow drain, and the re-circulating needle wheel pump creates the bubbles inside the body. Unless you get a recirculating model, the skimmer pump will drive the skimmer. If you are planning on using an insump pump, I like the Mag series from Danner. Very reliable and cost effective. I use a mag 9.5 and 7 on my 125 gallon. If you want to use an external pump, you can also use a Mag, or a more expensive Iwaki or GenX pump. All of these pumps have threaded outputs to connect PVC. What I did was connect the PVC to the pump with a threaded adapter, then extend the PVC up and connected a swing arm check valve and ball valve. Then I connected a hose to that PVC with metal hose clamps. You can use PVC the whole way if you like. The way you plumb the returns and drains will also vary on what type of set-up you have. Are you using a drilled tank? Or external overflow? I put my heater in my sump, but decided I didn't like it there. So I moved it inside my tank's overflow where it is hidden. If you would like to exactly how I plumbed my tank, look here: http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showgallery...cat=500&thumb=1

HTH,

Jim

[quote/]1> recommended in sump skimmer
I would put the skimmer in the sump. I love my Romora Pro.

2> how do you plumb that in?

Just plug and play buddy. Attach it to the filter portion of the sump and start the skimate.

3> recommended sump pump

I like my mag pump. It works well. It does depend on the amount of vertical space you need it to cover. This is reffered to as head. There is a calculator on reefcentral to caculate the amount of force you will need.

4> plumbing it in

I would use rigid line tubing attached to the reurns in the tank. Alot of this will be depending on what type of returns you are planning on. Single reurn? Spraybar? etc.

5> can you put the heaters in the sump instead of main tank?

Yes, that is what the sump is for.

6> overall plumbing order?

Hopefully your tank has a built in overflow box, if not reurn it if you can, the HOB's are a PITA.

So from your overflow it will drain down via either hard plumbing with PVC, or soft plumbing with a rigid line hose( I use the hose), into the filter portion of your sump. Your filter portion is the area to keep the filters, skimmers, UVs, etc.

THe Filter area will flow into your mini fuge area, which will just be the fuge.

The fuge area will then flow into your sectioned off return area were your return pump will carry the water back to the display via the method you choose.

Once you start to try it it will all make sense. Plumbing a tank is not diffucult.

Good Luck.

The ideal way to plumb a sump in is to have your tank drilled. you can either drill it in the bottom and have a full length weir or drill it in the side and have mini weirs. it all depends on how much room you have in the tank and how much you have to the sides/back as to which way you should go.

From the hole you should run pipe (either rigid or flexible) to the sump. From there it should go through the chosen filtration (DSB, LR, MM, etc).

When choosing a pump make sure it will not overload the drainage and flood the main tank or dry out the sump. A lot of people like different things. I myself prefer to pay a little extra and go with Eheim. It's basically the Rolls Royce of pumps (that's old Rolls Royce before that new monstrosity was released :crazy: ).

HIH

Andy

Most reactions

Back