Over Stocking

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gaz guildford

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i just read that over stocking is fantastic i have malawis of wich in the end from research should get to 5-6"

i have a 45gal (uk) tank with 14 of these beaties as i got told 15 would be the best amount is more better or stick with the 15??

You're already on the absolute maximum IMO gaz, I would leave things as they are. Imagine how full that tanks going to be when they are all 5-6 inches long.

hear hear ferris

Imagine the amount of bioload of all his fish when adults.......GROSS :sick:

Hope you like doing water changes!!!

im sticking with what ive got for now im hoping for a larger tank so... i think ill still stick with what i have then i need to get rid of two fish anyway i havent got round to yet to texas cichlids bought for me as a gift and they are a big no no with each other let alone malawi

Yeah its a shame, Texas are lovely fish but you're right not with malawi's and probably not with each other. :lol:

As long as you are happy with your tank, then leave it as it is.
I am setting up a juwel rio180 tank (40UK gallons) soon to be home to over 30 mbuna, and before you all jump on me I have seen it done very successfully on another forum by one of the most respected members of the UK malawi scene and his fish are healthy and breeding.

No jumping on here, it certainly can be done. My question would be why do you want to do it?

Whilst the fish can survive in that environment, i just don't see that point. I'm not really criticising AA, more interested in why someone would do that. :D

Why not, if it creates an interesting and more natural environment for the fish, people tend to forget that these fish come from a crowded environment in the wild and are used to living like that.
He only keeps wild and f1 fish too btw, so it obviously suits them!!

I'm sorry but you won't find any section of Lake Malawi where the population equates to 30 fish in 180 litres. Overstocking is done in tanks to spread the aggression around, not to emulate their natural environment. I still agree that it is possible but you'd need to spend some serious money on filtration and do extensive regular water changes.

Still, if thats what you want, go for it m8. :good:

Fair enough, I haven't been there so I can't argue with that.

Just trying to say that it does work, and very successfully too, there are far more problems caused by understocking mbuna ime than by overstocking, as long as you keep the water quality up to scratch.
BTW, his filters in this tank are the juwel one and the biggest eheim aquaball, and water changes are 40lt a week.

I have a 180L tank. with nearly 30 malwai.All are fine and healthy even have a blue lobster and 2 plec as well. have the juwel filtration in tank system. and an external fluval 405. extenal filtration is the important part.

I have a 180L tank. with nearly 30 malwai.All are fine and healthy even have a blue lobster and 2 plec as well. have the juwel filtration in tank system. and an external fluval 405. extenal filtration is the important part.

Are they all adults??? How big? How long have you kept them for.

myatt- the blue lobster, i would be worried about it when it sheds it's skin it will be attackes as it's defenceless for some time.

:good:

Most reactions

Back