over stocked?

What is your weekly maintenance regime...how much/how often do you do water changes and hoover the substrate?

What filtration do you have and what is the lph, how frequently are you rinsing media and changing it?

Overstocking can be handled if you stay on top of and are strict with your husbandry and your filtration is appropriate

It really depends on your aquarium, the equipment within it and your maintenance regime

What I mean by that is when you bought the aquarium did it come with all the kit (filter, lights & heater)?

If it came with the kit included, then more often than not that kit will be basic and close to being maxed out for the size of aquarium....that in turn limits your stock availability and choices.

If you replace the filter with one that is larger in capacity and flow rate, then you might be fine to overstock, but even with an oversized filter you will still be limited on stock by virtue of the space within the aquarium...ie...you won't be able to have larger species in a relatively small space.....that is common sense.

Your maintence (husbandry) is also of vital importance regardless as to whether you upgrade the filter or not and your stock levels.

Weekly minimum water changes of 45-50%, rinse out media in the old removed water and changing media when it literally starts to fall apart, hoovering the substrate, not overfeeding, maintaining healthy water chemistry is essential when overstocked (more fish = more waste products = more chance of deadly spikes = more potential for fish death)

I can sense your frustration but there are many aspects to keeping fish that people coming into the pastime do not realise or understand, often not realising a problem exists until its too late.

So when asked what your maintenance (husbandry) is and asked about the filtration you are using it can be extremely helpful to those of us trying to advise you on the best course of action. We are not being critical, we just need to know what your aquarium is like, what you are doing to maintain it and the stocking you would like against what would be appropriate for that aquarium.

if people get upset about that they need to get a grip
I'm not upset, though I do despise trolls.
You titled the thread 'over stocked'.
You then said that you had 'a 10 gallon wih 1 honey gurami 6 neon tetra a 4 otos my amonia is 0'...which, as you said, is over-stocked.

You didn't ask a question, you just told us that you have an over-stocked tank.
So...again...why are you telling us this?

becuase i wanted to know i forgot to put a question mark i dont want you in this thread if that is how you r

I don't know about the stock level in terms biomass is overstocked; a 1.5 inch neon is a lot less fish than your 1.5/2 inch gourami for instance.

Main issue I see is there enough space for gourami and neons? I mean we aren't talking a bowl, so there may well be.

Another issue is the otocinclus. If the tank is new and clean and pretty I expect they might starve. I haven't seen mine try to eat actual fish food, even algae wafers. And if they are hungry enough to go for normal fish food I expect they go for the food that is bad for them (high fat and protein). I only have two, so I know there is plenty of grazing to go around. I know they like a shoal, but I read somewhere they evolved to superficially resemble cories and feel "safe" with them.

I will assume you have the fish mentioned in post #1 in the tank now, so we need to work with that. Do you have live plants, and if so, a photo of the tank would tell us which species and how many which is key with the fish mentioned, because of their requirements as a species.

I know it is often difficult to accept that so few tiny fish are "overstocking" a 10g tank, but we must understand the requirements of each species, their mature sizes, and the space the tank provides them.

I am going to help you out without reading any other replies because everyone has different opinions on this.
Sorry, but the only point when it comes to fishes in captivity (or any other animal), is what fishes need, require, want to thrive, not what they tolerate or bear.

Most reactions

Back