Our Built In The Lounge Wall 4Ft Aquarium Fish Tank Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having just done abit of Googling on these runners, I would seriously not put them on that, There are better ways to make the tank slide out. I would seriously test the runners with some big weights first. It might work 1 or 10 times, but eventually they will give and crash down. Dead fish, Ruined Sofa. Lots of wasted money.

I hope this works out as i think this project will be amazing too see working :) :good:

Sorry I have to disagree. The construction of afore mentioned runners appear to have no strength when mounted that way and certainly no where near as much as 60% of there max strength when mounted properly.

Why dont you extend them and grab two and see what happens when you hang off them.

If you have the pdf spec sheet then i would love to see it.

I use these runners every week and in my experiance they have very little lateral strength. (the way you are using them)

The heavy duty ones from Haffele at 68kg are also very expensive and give no "flat" strength rating..

I can only appologise if these are some sort of special design that i have never seen or heard of, but I would rather I had Egg on my chin than you with a Tank on your Couch.

I understand your concern, so here are my numbers;
these are accuride runners rated at 160kg each, if you go to the accuride site they say worst case you loose 75%
So 160 x 4 = 640kg -75% = 160kg
Tank weight is 144 kg when full so it should take the weight when fully extended, but it will only be slid out around half way so it will actually be almost zero load up to half way (like sliding a tank over the edge of a table) - slides are bolted down to an internal block wall (not in pictures

From accuride site FAQ
Would I lose any load bearing capacity if I mounted a slide flat on the bottom of my drawer?
Yes, you could lose up to 75% of the slide's load capacity - but we always recommend that you test the slide in the intended application

[font="Arial][color="#6C6C6C"]
[/color][/font]
So I fully agree this is not a normal application - but realistically the load will be very low as I will add a dead stop at half way, to avoid accidents. I'm pretty sure if accuride say 'could lose 75%' on the web site then they will have also some safety margin
I will empty and fill using my external filter for emptying, and a small pump to do water re fill

Dave

She has not replied since i suggested hanging from runners.

Hope they are not on there way to A&E.

Edit.. Sorry was getting worried lol

Ok I feel a bit more comfortable now.

One suggestion though.

Why not mount the two external runner in the correct orientation then you could fully extend if ever needed?

Would take a bit of machining but from your last post I am sure that would not be a problem.

You could even put an upstand back and front of base to give it strenght from flexing.

It will look great once done, but I would find it easier to just move house :D

Not on way to a & e the tank is not in yet and has a bit to go yet. My husband has done the calculations on these runners and i have put my weight on them and they are fine. Please read the info what my husband put in earlier. dont think everyone is reading it properly.

Love living here so not gonna move, sorry
smile.gif

Having just done abit of Googling on these runners, I would seriously not put them on that, There are better ways to make the tank slide out. I would seriously test the runners with some big weights first. It might work 1 or 10 times, but eventually they will give and crash down. Dead fish, Ruined Sofa. Lots of wasted money.

I hope this works out as i think this project will be amazing too see working :) :good:

You havnt done the calculations on them. They are tested for 40,000 cycles fully loaded!.....so once a week/month should be fine

Out of curiosity what will be your water change routine and how are u going to do them?

Cool project though! CAnt wait to c it

We will use the external filter to do the water change which is on the other side of the wall behind the tank which comes in through the top of the tank. The tank does not have a lid on it. so its easy.

I do think this is a great project and truly hope it works as I'm sure does everyone. I cannot speak for everyone but I'm hoping their all just voicing their opinions out of concern. I don't believe anyone was having a go just incase it seemed that way because I thought one or two posts may have seemed that way.

I for one am really looking forward to the finished project.

Best of luck.

Ok I feel a bit more comfortable now.

One suggestion though.

Why not mount the two external runner in the correct orientation then you could fully extend if ever needed?

Would take a bit of machining but from your last post I am sure that would not be a problem.

You could even put an upstand back and front of base to give it strenght from flexing.

the gap around the tank needs to be at a minimum, thats why we have done it this way. thanks

Not on way to a & e the tank is not in yet and has a bit to go yet. My husband has done the calculations on these runners and i have put my weight on them and they are fine. Please read the info what my husband put in earlier. dont think everyone is reading it properly.

smile.gif

Glad to hear its not become an issue :good: this is such an awesome idea. Would love to do something like this in my house :p But id have to say id make it a hell of alot bigger if i was going too do all that. But i love it :) how are you going to access the filter and cables at the back if your going to only be bringing it out 6inches?

What's your tim scale on this? Im actually quite excited to see the outcome haha

I do think this is a great project and truly hope it works as I'm sure does everyone. I cannot speak for everyone but I'm hoping their all just voicing their opinions out of concern. I don't believe anyone was having a go just incase it seemed that way because I thought one or two posts may have seemed that way.

I for one am really looking forward to the finished project.

Best of luck.

Thanks Micko, we have done a lot of things in the past and are very confident this will work. We are making this so we dont have to touch the tank untill it needs cleaning. so we are not worried about runners at all. watch this space
rolleyes.gif

smile.gif
Hi, the plan is to get this finished before easter, but the (finishing touches) steel frame will go on later. but should be up and running soon. anyway, it has to be as im wanting the floor put down and new doors in before easter too, so its all go here at the moment.

Glad to hear its not become an issue :good: this is such an awesome idea. Would love to do something like this in my house :p But id have to say id make it a hell of alot bigger if i was going too do all that. But i love it :) how are you going to access the filter and cables at the back if your going to only be bringing it out 6inches?

What's your tim scale on this? Im actually quite excited to see the outcome haha

Awesome, Im looking forward to hearing more then :) Going to look amazing when its done, What is the tank size? sorry if this is posted above? and what are you going to stock with...

Do you have any other way of accessing the tank apart from the 6 inches it will slide out? From the garage or anything? Sorry if you've already mentioned earlier in the thread, I cant remember.. how are you gunna light the tank?

And coz i'm impatient and cant wait to see the end result.. whats your time scale on having it all finished!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back