Oscars

Chris_JT

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
just a curious question about oscars. ive read that they will eat snails. ive fed my oscars everything under the sun, but never a snail. has anyone here ever fed their oscars snails????

yes they will eat snails. If you want to keep snails withem they have to be bigger then its mouth. even then the oscar will probably use it as a toy curious as they are. But if the oscar leaves the snails alone and one dies (how can you tell with an animal that is mostly shell and cryptic to boot) they can foul the water. I dont get snails but its entirely up to you. :thumbs:

alot of cichlids will eat a snail if they can my GT killed a ramshorn snail by banging it against the glass with her tail I thought for sure that she was going to break the tank!!!!

Just out of curiosity, why would you want pesky snails in your tank anyway? Don't they just multiply and tanke over the tank? A snail eating fish would be a great thing wouldn't it? -_-

i dont want snails, i was just curious. i always wondered what they did to the shell, if they crushed it or not. i remeber feeding big crayfish to my oscar, and if i put my ear up to the tank i could hear him crushing the shell inside his mouth, real cool sound.

IME with my GT she just banged the snail against the glass till its shell cracked and it died then she slurpped it out of the shell I still have the shell in the tank to this day

I used to have an Apple snail with my Oscar and it never touched it, but as they say, every Oscar is a different kettle of fish....get it.....kettle....fish....hahahahahah!

ur oscar will eat the snails..they crush the shell and it comes flying out of the oscars gills..and u can hear the crunch sound..my bf oscar jumps for snails if we stick them to the lid of the tank..he loves it when we bring him snails to eat

Most reactions

Back