Oscar wont eat?

aschaal

Reaction score
So about a week ago my boyfriend and I purchased an adult oscar fish to go in an established 90g with a canister filter. We added some extra bottled bacteria just to make sure everything was set. Already living in there was an adult sailfin pleco about 10 or 11". The tank that he was in at the store had large plecos. The oscar was also a bit scratched up from the large sharp decorations they had in there. He seems to be healing. But he doesnt really seem to be eating. We have tried frozen foods, flakes, sinking pellets and floating pellets. We have also tried live foods but hes just not interested. I called the store to see what they were feeding him and got some of that. He seems to maybe have eaten a couple of those pellets but mostly just takes them then spits them out. Now he seems to be splashing at the surface and kind of making rapid movements randomly. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all low and the ph is where it should be. Any ideas on what is going on or how I could get him to eat?

I have done water changes as well to see if that would help but doesnt seem like that has changed anything.

Pictures and video of the fish?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH in numbers?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

How often and how do you clean the filter?

--------------------
Adult Oscar cichlids regularly sulk when they get moved and sometimes go on hunger strikes. However, if the new tank has similar water chemistry to the old tank, and the food hasn't changed, they usually settle in pretty quickly. Since this hasn't happened, I would do some more water changes.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Pictures and video of the fish?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH in numbers?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

How often and how do you clean the filter?

--------------------
Adult Oscar cichlids regularly sulk when they get moved and sometimes go on hunger strikes. However, if the new tank has similar water chemistry to the old tank, and the food hasn't changed, they usually settle in pretty quickly. Since this hasn't happened, I would do some more water changes.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.
The filter was cleaned when we got him in there about a week ago. We did use tank water to clean the filter media and sponges. I have a pond aeration stone in there (which he loves to sit in the bubbles) plus the filter flow back into the tank also breaks the water tension. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are 0. Ph is 7.2-7.4. The fish are currently alseep so I'm not going to take pictures right now. But the tank is a bare bottom and I do vaccum the bottom when i do water changes. I've done a 50% water change about 3 times and I've had him for a week. I make sure the water isnt full of chlorine. And like I said in my original post I called the store and purchased the food they were feeding him. He shows interest in it but just grabs it and then spits it out. But I also havent seen him poop or notice any of his in the tank when I clean the bottom. Idk if maybe that's the issue? But if it is I'm not sure how to fix that. The filter is at least a year old by now. He also stops jolting one way or another if I walk up to the tank. And at night when the lights are off he stays still for the most part and sleeps. The lights are not super bright ither

You need something on the bottom of the tank so the fish are more comfortable. Most fish can't stand being in a bare bottom tank because they can see a reflection and don't know which way is up and down.

Make sure you have a picture on the back of the tank too.

I'm just wondering whether your Oscar is suffering from this:

You can also try to use Epsom salt in case the Oscar has a blocked digestive system.

You need something on the bottom of the tank so the fish are more comfortable. Most fish can't stand being in a bare bottom tank because they can see a reflection and don't know which way is up and down.

Make sure you have a picture on the back of the tank too.
Ok I have a bucket of sand used in that tank previously. I can put in there. Would that be ok? And I had a backround on the tank but he seemed to not like it. It had pictures of rocks and he would open his mouth and swim at them as if he was trying to move them. Since I've taken it off he seems more calm about that. I also think he just didnt like the backround because when we would walk behind it he couldn't see where we were coming from. But I could try to put it back on if you really think that would help

You can also try to use Epsom salt in case the Oscar has a blocked digestive system.

How much epsom

[URL

How much Epsom salt? And any specific brand recommendation? Will it be ok for the pleco living with him?

Ok I have a bucket of sand used in that tank previously. I can put in there. Would that be ok? And I had a backround on the tank but he seemed to not like it. It had pictures of rocks and he would open his mouth and swim at them as if he was trying to move them. Since I've taken it off he seems more calm about that. I also think he just didnt like the backround because when we would walk behind it he couldn't see where we were coming from. But I could try to put it back on if you really think that would help
I'm also just afraid of if I put gravel in there that he would possibly swallow it. But I have a bucket of gravel as well

Sand is fine for the bottom. You don't need a lot, just 1/2 an inch to cover the glass.

You can use coloured card or even a plastic bin liner on the back of the tank. Plain coloured card or bin liner won't have rocks for the fish to try and move and should give him a bit more security.

According to the website, you can put 1-3 teaspoon of salt for every 5 gallons (20 liter ) of water.
But I have no idea about effect on the Pleco. I think it should be fine. Maybe just observe it.

Any brand of Epsom salt is ok.

Sand is fine for the bottom. You don't need a lot, just 1/2 an inch to cover the glass.

You can use coloured card or even a plastic bin liner on the back of the tank. Plain coloured card or bin liner won't have rocks for the fish to try and move and should give him a bit more security.
Ok well I'll try it out. Thankyou

Bear in mind that plecos are salt sensitive. Have also heard never to add epsom salt to the tank itself, only to use it for baths outside on the tank.

But I'm not great with the chemistry, @Essjay knows a great deal more!

Bear in mind that plecos are salt sensitive. Have also heard never to add epsom salt to the tank itself, only to use it for baths outside on the tank.

But I'm not great with the chemistry, @Essjay knows a great deal more!
Ok. Well I'd rather do the bath so I dont hurt the pleco because he is doing very good. Do you know how long I should keep him in the bath for?

Here is that picture of him. He is a bit light right now because I just turned the lights on. Trying to keep them off for now and just let him get indirect sunlight. Seems to keep him calmer

Attachments

• 20210309_164858.jpg
    20210309_164858.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 52

Most reactions

Back