Oscar Tankmates

giant19000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just got a 3-4 inch baby red tiger oscar today what cichlids can I put with it even as adults? I also have 2 hujstas and a tyre track eel??

this would be more appropriate in the new world cichlid forum. my oscars lived successfully with all other SA fish, just not other oscars. i bought 2 a beautiful little albino oscar and a regular red oscar (my ex said "super red" but i think he was making that up). anyway.. they lived together with my cichla and red tail cat for a very long time (over a year). then for some strange reason the oscars started trying to kill each other.

all the other fish would go to neutral corners and do their very best to get out of the way when it started.. i ended up having to separate them, i put the smaller of the two in with my arowana and the larger one i left with the cichla and the red tail catfish. they each got moved a couple times, and survived a couple tank crashes, but they both eventually died.

this would be more appropriate in the new world cichlid forum. my oscars lived successfully with all other SA fish, just not other oscars. i bought 2 a beautiful little albino oscar and a regular red oscar (my ex said "super red" but i think he was making that up). anyway.. they lived together with my cichla and red tail cat for a very long time (over a year). then for some strange reason the oscars started trying to kill each other.

all the other fish would go to neutral corners and do their very best to get out of the way when it started.. i ended up having to separate them, i put the smaller of the two in with my arowana and the larger one i left with the cichla and the red tail catfish. they each got moved a couple times, and survived a couple tank crashes, but they both eventually died.
Wow that really sucks sorry to hear that

What size tank do you have?
75gallon???

Well I posted this here because I want African/old world cichlids not rams or angels or green terrors I like the peacocks and the johannis??some that really show their color :) but that don't mess with my hujetas??

75gallon???
It's probably not big enough for an oscar, depending on dimensions.

Well I posted this here because I want African/old world cichlids not rams or angels or green terrors I like the peacocks and the johannis??some that really show their color :) but that don't mess with my hujetas??
The two groups of fish are not compatible because of water requirements, décor requierments, size and base level of aggression.

By the way, what's up with the question marks? You make it sound like you're asking us if your tank is 75 gallons and whether you like Malawi cichlids.

75gallon???
It's 4 feet long 2 1/2 feet wide 3 feet high??
It's probably not big enough for an oscar, depending on dimensions.

The two groups of fish are not compatible because of water requirements, décor requierments, size and base level of aggression.

By the way, what's up with the question marks? You make it sound like you're asking us if your tank is 75 gallons and whether you like Malawi cichlids.

Its 4 feet long 2 1/2 feet wide and 3 feet high?also wats the growth rate on an Oscar how lint will it take for him to get get adult size??well wat if I get rid of the Oscar with the johannis get along with my hujetas and tyre track eel??

You sure about the dimensions (4ft X 2.5ft X 3ft)? Cause thats not a 75 gallon tank, thats a 225 gallon, thats plenty space for an Oscar. As far as I know Oscars grow rather quick, maybe an inch a month, can grow from 2 inches to 10 inches in a year then slows down from there I believe.

I haven't kept oscars, but I've also heard that the growth rate is very quick.

well wat if I get rid of the Oscar with the johannis get along with my hujetas and tyre track eel??
African Rift Lake cichlids are only compatible with other Rift Lake cichlids from the same lake, with some plecos and with some Synodontis spp. from the Rift Lakes. Rift Lake cichlids are NOT compatible with Asian or South American fish. The cichlids have different water requirements, décor requirements and base level of aggression from *all* other types of fish.

If you want to keep these pretty cichlids, you need to dedicate a tank to them. It would need to be filled with lots and lots of rocks (probably reef bones).

as others have advised , its going to have to be 1 or the other . the oscar or the malawis. aside from the water/decor requirements , theres also the agression factors as highlighted by kitty kat . if you put an oscar in a malawi/mbuna tank it wouldnt last 5 minutes . mny advidce would be to research both the new world cichlids , i e south/central american and the old world cichlids frpm the rift lakes and decide which appeals most and forget the other .

Ok so if I get rid of the oscar will it be ok with the hujetas?or are they also predators eat small feeder guppies once a month as a treat and will only be ok with my tyre track eel, if they do eat small guppies then I eill get rid of the hujetas as well if not cimpatible?

Ok so if I get rid of the oscar will it be ok with the hujetas?or are they also predators eat small feeder guppies once a month as a treat and will only be ok with my tyre track eel, if they do eat small guppies then I eill get rid of the hujetas as well if not cimpatible?
Have you even researched the fish you already have? Ctenolucius hujeta is a South American species.

Please use more punctuation, you are very difficult to understand, and research your own fish, as this is the second time I have had to look up the species you keep this week because you did not know enough information about them.

head and brick wall spring to mind here lol . with the exception of things like bristlenose plec and rift valley synodontis , rift valley cichlids are only compatible with OTHER RIFT VALLEY CICHLIDS

Ok but thats why will the cichlids I want eat small feeder guppies im willing to get rid of my hujetas if they do?as long as their ok with my tyre track lol im sorry I know im hard to understand

Most reactions

Back