Oscar Tankmates

not sure what you mean by that last post , but put simply if you want to keep african cichlids then it will mean rehoming all of your current fish , imcluiding the tyre trackl eel and restocking your tank with just african cichlids

thats what this forum is so good for ,. when i joined here i knew nothing . so i assume by your question that you have decided to keep new world cichlids instead of african cichlids?

I know there are some new world cichlids that arent as aggressive would you know wich they are colorful nice looking ones??

so you are now keeping the Oscar and looking for suitable tankmates?

I'd like to go back to the question of your tank size. Seems MASSIVE (3 foot HIGH doesn't sound right), have you measured the glass with a ruler or tape measure?

What we need to know is the CORRECT tank size and whther you want to keep the oscar or not, before suggesting possible New World cichlids.

Yes please wich specific ones do you recomend?

soooooo....are you keeping the oscar or not?

Also, have you properly measured the tank yourself? Without the tank size, we don't know what fish would be suitable for it.

No troll!!lol
I was told my tank measured wen I got it???
But I measured it today and it's actually 4 feet long 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall?? I'm not sure about the Oscar right now he's in the tank but I need suitable fish for my hujetas and tyre track eel??and if their not suitable with my Oscar and the Oscar is the only fish that's keeping me from getting my cichlids then I'll get rid of my Oscar please help ?

No troll!!lol
I was told my tank measured wen I got it???
But I measured it today and it's actually 4 feet long 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall?? I'm not sure about the Oscar right now he's in the tank but I need suitable fish for my hujetas and tyre track eel??and if their not suitable with my Oscar and the Oscar is the only fish that's keeping me from getting my cichlids then I'll get rid of my Oscar please help ?

As said before, several times in this topic, if you want African cichlids from either great lake, that is ALL you can have in the tank. The eel and the oscar would have to go....but I don't know what hujetas are, so can't comment on those.

Their hujeta gars (not true gars) pike characin about 10 inches as far as they got ? Not even american cichlids can stay in the tank with tyre track eel or hujetas? That's my question I know now that I can't keep the African or Malawi lake cichlids (the ones I wanted :(. ) even though my lfs told me o could their sooo full of it always giving the wrong info just to make a quick buck!
But wat about American cichlids ?? I read about some kind of cichlids that aren't as aggressive, now which ones are those?? Pics please ?????

I was suppose to have this tank setup for my daughter last week but all the info got mixed up between these posts and my lfs now I just someone to help me please

Their hujeta gars (not true gars) pike characin about 10 inches as far as they got ? Not even american cichlids can stay in the tank with tyre track eel or hujetas? That's my question I know now that I can't keep the African or Malawi lake cichlids (the ones I wanted :(. ) even though my lfs told me o could their sooo full of it always giving the wrong info just to make a quick buck!
But wat about American cichlids ?? I read about some kind of cichlids that aren't as aggressive, now which ones are those?? Pics please ?????

I was suppose to have this tank setup for my daughter last week but all the info got mixed up between these posts and my lfs now I just someone to help me please

sorry, haven't got a clue about any gars/pikes. Maybe ask this question in the predator section?

i've never seen gars of any type kept successfully with oscars. and i'm kinda surprised that an eel would get a chance to eat at all with larger more aggressive fish in the tank. do you use tongs or chopsticks to get food down to the eel?

i haven't heard a compatible combination of fish from any of the fish you've asked about.

your tank is a 120 gallon by the dimensions you posted. with good filtration you could keep a combo of 3 or 4 of just about any south/central american cichlids. but just ONE of each. and preferably all the same sex because if they pair off and spawn it could cause serious aggression in the tank.

or you could keep 1 or 2 cichla orinocensis. they are less aggressive, and they will not outgrow a 120 gallon tank as long as you don't overstock the tank.

Most reactions

Back