Oscar Compatibility And Tank Stocking

skyllines

Reaction score
I recently freed up a 55 gallon (48 inch L) tank. I have three angel fish from an established tank that I want to move to this new tank. I was wondering if one oscar, 2 pictus catfish, and maybe an extra angel fish would be compatible and also if it would cause over crowding? I know that oscars are quite aggressive and have read that they can be suitable tank mates for pictus catfish. I am more concerned about the angel fish. I have had the three for around 3 years and their bodies are about silver-dollar sized. If an oscar is not compatible can you give me some suggestions for stocking this tank.

Oscars and Angelfish are not compatible.

Also oscar should not be put in a 55g as its a little small, Oscar's are not agressive just big and eat small fish .

I recently freed up a 55 gallon (48 inch L) tank. I have three angel fish from an established tank that I want to move to this new tank. I was wondering if one oscar, 2 pictus catfish, and maybe an extra angel fish would be compatible and also if it would cause over crowding? I know that oscars are quite aggressive and have read that they can be suitable tank mates for pictus catfish. I am more concerned about the angel fish. I have had the three for around 3 years and their bodies are about silver-dollar sized. If an oscar is not compatible can you give me some suggestions for stocking this tank.

3 year old angels that are silver dollar sized!!??? :oh:

sound supremely stunted, what size tank did you have them in???

If you want a nice big fish with angels you should look at some SA/CA cichlids... but nothing aggressive like oscars..

If you want a nice big fish with angels you should look at some SA/CA cichlids... but nothing aggressive like oscars..
The angels are in a 30 gallon tank and they are the only inhabitants. Thanks for the cichlid suggestion, I figured an oscar would not work in this small a tank and with the angelfish.

you havent stated the tank size (4ft isnt much to go on) bearing in mind that an oscar can get to around 12-14 inches in an aquarium, you would need a tank where it could turn around, and no they wont mix with angels theyd eat them ( theyll eat anything they can catch and fit)

silver dollar is in the $ or the fish? :lol:

Sly, any angel the size of a mature silver dollar is not at all stunted in its growth. A silver dollar gets well over 6 inches as an adult and is really not suitable for many ordinary tanks.

Sly, any angel the size of a mature silver dollar is not at all stunted in its growth. A silver dollar gets well over 6 inches as an adult and is really not suitable for many ordinary tanks.

WHAT!?

joking right????

EDIT:: just googled it.... i thought he was talking about a silver dollar (money)

you havent stated the tank size (4ft isnt much to go on) bearing in mind that an oscar can get to around 12-14 inches in an aquarium, you would need a tank where it could turn around, and no they wont mix with angels theyd eat them ( theyll eat anything they can catch and fit)

I realize now that an oscar would not fit in my tank at all, it just would not have the area to turn around. The tank is approximately 4 ft x 1.5ftx 2ft. Can you think of a compatable fish that would make a good center piece? I already own the angelfish and they really need to move to the larger tank they are out growing the 30 gallon they are in, so I would need something that would not bully or eat them.
The angel fish are about 3.5 inches long and 6 inches high, this is a really rough approximation I am not currently looking at the fish.

Sorry, not joking. I have almost no sense of humor according to most people.
:lol: O come on, we've drawn you out once or twice. There's a very dry humor lurking in there somewhere, I just know it. It just doesn't get much time to operate compared to the gravel siphon.

wow, I don't think I've ever seen a Severum as pretty as the one pictured there Robby, that one has some nice markings!

Most reactions

Back