Oscar Compatibility And Tank Stocking

My daughter breeds severums and although they are lovely fish they get quite large. She uses a 90 gallon tank for a pair to use for breeding, if that gives you any perspective on them. A single pair will not only fully occupy that 90 gallon tank, think of maybe 350 to 400 litres, but she must remove fry that have hatched to have significant fry survivals. I have seen her siphon off 200 to 300 newborn fry into a 10 gallon, feed them a few days with microworms and move them to a 55 gallon tank to grow out. At about 1 inch long, she sells off almost all of her fry to the local fish shops because she has no room in even that 55 gallon to grow them much bigger. If she decides to up her numbers of them she keeps a few back when most fry are sold and raises those few for her large tank. That is the big 6 foot long one, not the relatively tiny 90 gallon. The 6 foot is a 180 gallon if I recall correctly. It has a few large cichlids in it and not much else. Her breeding severums run about 7 to 8 inches long.

Most reactions

Back