Orca Tl450 Nano Reef Log

I know it's really funny isn't, just take your time and remember to ensure it is a mains cold water pipe :good: did you get ball valves as well?

I added my di unit after, well should say Trod added my di unit after :lol:

Seffie x

:fish:

Yep, got 3 ball valves also (after reading your thread in which Trod changed your DI unit! LOL).
Basically got the 3 Stage 50 GPD unit, a TDS meter, 3xBall Valves and the DI Unit.
I am handy enough with regards DIY, but have no experience with plumbing. I find these jobs tend to go swimmingly (excuse the pun) or turn into frustrating messes......hopefully the former!

Cool hitchhiker.

With regards to the 3 pin fans. I wouldnt worry about it. The third pin is just used for senses fan speed so should still plug straight in, just make sure you put the fans in the right way round so the air is blowing out.

The temp could get high around this time of year. You can always leave the lid open a bit if it gets really bad (once you get fish though you have to be very careful they don't jump out). Turning down the heater wont make any difference unless the heater has been coming on.

Ok, hooked up the RO Unit with not too many issues. However there is a small leak around the screw clamp (that's attached to the copper mains), which is a little annoying. Will try and seal it up using silicone sealant.

The TDS with the tap water was 69, and the RO water is 6 (with no DI). It is producing RO water very slowly though, sort of a rapid dripping pace. Is this the norm? Or is my pressure just not great? I am going to try and suss out how much water it is producing per hour so I can gauge how long I can leave it on for to give me a bucket full (all I need for my weekly water change)

Thats the norm, i'm afraid - your DI unit will bring that TDS reading down to 0 - don't forget to take a picture of youe 0 reading for us :lol: it's kinda tradition

Seffie x

Thats the norm, i'm afraid - your DI unit will bring that TDS reading down to 0 - don't forget to take a picture of youe 0 reading for us :lol: it's kinda tradition

Seffie x

No worries, will take the picture once my DI unit arrives! :D
It is quite slow, but it's fine as I just need 1 bucket per week - if I had a bigger tank I would probably have to get a booster pump.

Btw, I sort of remember reading in the instructions that DI water is unfit for drinking. Is that true?

My CUC in the tank are still kind of acting wierd. My astraea snail seems back to normal, moving around a bit, but my turbos are barely moving at all - they are still alive, but they used to fly around the old tank setup.

Also I am convinced that the shedding from my red legged hermit wasn't a shedding - but a dead hermit. I have only seen one of the pair, for the past 5 days - but that one is back to itself eating up my diatoms.
My Halloween hermit is still acting strange, moving around somedays but then staying in the same place for a day or more.
Anyway, hopefully I will be picking up some more CUC this weekend, as my tank only seems to have gone through a mini cycle thankfully.

One more thing, I have added Rowaphos since the beginning of this new setup. How long does it usually last before needing a change? Is it just a case of measuring the Po4 every week or two until you see a rise?

Well, my missing red legged hermit has suddenly appeared again - in a shiny new shell! :D :D

I have had a big diatom bloom overnight, so will need to get some more snails in there ASAP. I seem to be near the end of my mini cycle. Readings today

Nitrates: 10 (up from 5)
Nitrites: 0.05 (down from 0.1)
Ammonia: 0

Some pics:

Diatom Outbreak
IMG_6136.jpg

The Prodigal Hermit:
IMG_6137.jpg

Polyps thriving:
IMG_6139.jpg

Very nice.
Loving the scape that will look brilliant when it has colorful corals all over the place.
:p

YF

Don't add anymore livestock until your mini cycle has finished :good:

Seffie x

ps nice photos

When my nitrites hit zero I am going to do the water change, wait 24 hours, test and then hopefully be ready to get some more snails.
Thinking of getting the following:
4 x Nass (I have more sand in this new setup than the last)
2 x Cerith
1 x Astraea
1 x Red Legged Reef Hermit

Which would give me a CUC of:
5 x Nass
2 x Cerith
2 x Astraea
2 x Turbo
3 x Red Legged Reef Hermits
1 x Halloween Hermit

How does that sound?

Hopefully I can get the snails I want, most of my LFS are pretty crap when it comes to snails, they nearly all only have Turbos......

Also noticed a lot of amphipods zooming around the tank last night. :good:

When my nitrites hit zero I am going to do the water change, wait 24 hours, test and then hopefully be ready to get some more snails.

Nope, you have to wait till your NITRATES hit <10 then do a 50% water change, then wait 24 hours, test again, then if ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate hopefully 0 or near as - then you can buy some cuc

Thinking of getting the following:
4 x Nass (I have more sand in this new setup than the last)
2 x Cerith
1 x Astraea
1 x Red Legged Reef Hermit

Which would give me a CUC of:
5 x Nass
2 x Cerith
2 x Astraea
2 x Turbo
3 x Red Legged Reef Hermits
1 x Halloween Hermit

How does that sound?

Doubt you will need 2 astrea and two turbos, you can always add more later, nor will you need 4 hermits, I would go for 1 blue leg and 1 halloween

Hopefully I can get the snails I want, most of my LFS are pretty crap when it comes to snails, they nearly all only have Turbos......

Also noticed a lot of amphipods zooming around the tank last night. :good:

Excellent

Seffie x

I found another weird live rock hitchhiker today. It is in a hole in the rock and is sort of yellow in colour and seems to have two small black holes at the front. It closes up a little when disturbed.

Any ideas?
IMG_6141.jpg

Test results for today:
Nitrates: 5 (down from 10)
Nitrites: 0.05 (down from 0.07)

Anyone have any ideas what my new hitchhiker above is?

Test results for today:
Nitrates: 5 (down from 10)
Nitrites: 0.05 (down from 0.07)

Anyone have any ideas what my new hitchhiker above is?

It's a bit difficult to tell from the photo, if it doesn't move out of the hole then it is probably a mollusc or the like.

You are close to the end of your cycle woo hoo. Just wait until you have no nitrites and your nitrates are <10

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back