Orca Tl450 Nano Reef Log

Is there anyway to tell if a hermit crab shedding is just that, or an actual dead hermit??

Basically I retrieved my Halloween shedding (which it definitely is, because he is walking around the tank!), but when taking it out I noticed what looks like a shedding from one of my scarlet reef hermits. The thing is I haven't seen one of my hermits in a couple of days, so I was wondering could it be it's carcass? Anyway to tell the difference?

I wouldn't worry, it is normal for them to shed in a new tank

Getting a little buildup of brown diatoms at the moment, as to be expected I suppose.

Yes, maybe you need some more sand stiring cuc - either Dove snails or Nass

Seffie x

:fish:

Is there anyway to tell if a hermit crab shedding is just that, or an actual dead hermit??

Basically I retrieved my Halloween shedding (which it definitely is, because he is walking around the tank!), but when taking it out I noticed what looks like a shedding from one of my scarlet reef hermits. The thing is I haven't seen one of my hermits in a couple of days, so I was wondering could it be it's carcass? Anyway to tell the difference?

I wouldn't worry, it is normal for them to shed in a new tank

Getting a little buildup of brown diatoms at the moment, as to be expected I suppose.

Yes, maybe you need some more sand stiring cuc - either Dove snails or Nass

Seffie x

Thanks Seffie! :good: Yeah two of them have shed in the past few days, they also seem more themselves (if that makes sense!) since shedding - walking around more etc. I will probably get another 2 Nass snails, only have one at the moment. Will probably take a trip to LFS on Saturday and see what they have.

You probably need about five :good: or maybe get some ceriths

Seffie x

Yeah, I am way low on CUC. Was only thinking of getting more before the drama last week! Noticed a couple more hitchhikers just there.
First is some sort of worm, very thin (about human hair thickness), about 2 inches long and a sort of clear/white colour. It was moving around one of the rocks.

Second is some sort of....well, I have no idea! They are very small (about 0.3 cm tall), a clear colour and they are made up of a stalk with what can only be described as what looks like a brittle star stuck on top! There are 5 of them on one of the rocks, and they don't retract when you touch them - but the tentacles will react/move away. Some sort of baby coral??

Most small worms are nothing to worry about.

mmm, think we are going to need a picture of this one although could be one of the numerous small brittle stars - they sometimes keep one leg in the rock and have the rest out

Seffie x

Most small worms are nothing to worry about.

mmm, think we are going to need a picture of this one although could be one of the numerous small brittle stars - they sometimes keep one leg in the rock and have the rest out

Seffie x

Tried a pic, but they are sort of around the back/side of the tank and my camera won't focus on them.
I have to update what I said previously, they DO retract into the rock....but slower than say, a feather duster. I disturbed one of them and it sort of curled it's "tentacles" inwards and then retracted into the rock.

I am beginning to get a feeling they could be baby aiptasia.... :( Can aiptasia be white/clear? They also all have 8 tentacles, and each tentacle has smaller "barbs" running along each side.

Doesn't sound like aiptaisia - you sure they are not brittle stars?

seffie x

Cool! Does the brittle star attach to the rock by a thicker appendage? I wish I could get a pic, very hard to describe such things - and even harder for people to try and imagine what I can see! lol :D

Cool! Does the brittle star attach to the rock by a thicker appendage? I wish I could get a pic, very hard to describe such things - and even harder for people to try and imagine what I can see! lol :D

No, but peanut worms do - they have a filter on the end

Seffie x

No, but peanut worms do - they have a filter on the end

Seffie x

Ok, founda picture on the net. This is exactly what I have
2006-01-21%20003.jpg
. I read the thread, but it looked like no-one answered the person who was asking what they were. Or maybe I can't find it, it is hard to read the website!

[URL="http://www.wetwebmedia.com/polypidfaqs.htm"]http://www.wetwebmedia.com/polypidfaqs.htm[/URL]

My RO unit just arrived! :good: Who'd have thought I would be so excited about a water filtration device...... ;)

It is sitting on my desk in work, so I have a fun evening ahead of me. Hopefully I can install it without any major issues. Unfortunately I haven't got my DI unit yet, as RO-MAN are waiting to get some more in.
I presume there is no issue with installing and using the RO unit without the DI part, and then just adding it on later?

My RO unit just arrived! :good: Who'd have thought I would be so excited about a water filtration device...... ;)

It is sitting on my desk in work, so I have a fun evening ahead of me. Hopefully I can install it without any major issues. Unfortunately I haven't got my DI unit yet, as RO-MAN are waiting to get some more in.
I presume there is no issue with installing and using the RO unit without the DI part, and then just adding it on later?

I know it's really funny isn't, just take your time and remember to ensure it is a mains cold water pipe :good: did you get ball valves as well?

I added my di unit after, well should say Trod added my di unit after :lol:

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back