One-way View Film For Tanks With Easily Spooked Fish?...help!

daddySEAL

Reaction score
Is there anything to coat my aquarium glass exterior with a film to have the fish Not FREAK out everytime I walk, and move Very, Very Slowly by the tank? Like maybe not see me well, but let me see them...without being reflective to the fish in the tank?

I have a 125gal. 6 ft. long tank with six 8" Bala Sharks, and 10 large Silver Dollar fish that always go CRAZY whenever I move even VERY Slowly by their tank. There are Lots and Lots of tall plants to hide in, but choose to Freak out and then swim fureously back and forth when they see any movement, no matter how small or slow.

HELP Please!!??

Bala sharks are a very scared fish mine was scared until he got use to me coming to the tank and feeding him now he swims to my hand just give it time

Bala sharks are a very scared fish mine was scared until he got use to me coming to the tank and feeding him now he swims to my hand just give it time

Maybe if I had only one, that may be the case. But I have 6 large ones...and when one freaks out, they seem to add to the frenzy and the ALL start doing it!! And Frenzy up the Large Silver Dollars TOO!!

HELP!!!, Please???

I wouldn't bother with a film for the glass. Instead move the tank into an area that has more movement around it. People used to keep discus in the dark quiet corner of a bedroom where nobody went. The fish were always nervous. But if you compare the same fish in a petshop, they are always out in the open and don't care if someone walks past the tank. It comes down to desensitising the fish. Having people walking past it regularly will help. If that isn't going to happen, then have a television on in the room. You don't need the sound it is just the flashing light and movement on the screen that helps. You can also use an oscillating fan with some streamers/ ribbon on it. The fan will blow the streamers with the air and the movement will help to settle the fish.

Check the water quality. If the water is not perfect, (ie: has an ammonia, nitrite or high nitrate reading, or the PH is really low) then the fish will often be more nervous.

In the morning turn the room lights on or open the curtains. Wait 30-60minutes before turning the tank lights on. If you have more than 1 light on the tank, then turn one on and wait 30-60minutes before turning the others on.
At night turn the room lights on, then turn the tank lights off. Wait 30 minutes before turning the room lights off. This will prevent the fish from stressing out too much from sudden light or dark.

Have a picture across the back and sides of the tank. You can buy one from the petshop or just sticky tape some newspaper or coloured card to the outside of the tank.

Really?...Can having a picture across the back and sides of the tank sooth them?
I had no background paper when I set up the huge tank...about 3" from the wall. So now there is NO Way I could move the tank, or get my hands back there to add some.

Can that Really be a problem, Please??

Think about it this way. How would you like to live in a glass house with no covered walls. You could see out and people could see in. Now imagine what it would be like if you didn’t understand what glass was and you had big predatory animals walking past your house every now and then. The animals couldn’t get in but you don’t know that.

Fish are used to having river banks around them and they can see them. If they are in a fish tank they can see every where but there is a strange invisible barrier around them. It's completely un-natural for them and many people find their fish just don’t settle down until after a backing picture has been put on the tank. It just gives the fish a sense of security. It doesn't always work and sometimes the fish can take a few days to settle down after the backing is added. But generally they do better with a picture on the back (and sides if possible).

Maybe if I had only one, that may be the case. But I have 6 large ones...and when one freaks out, they seem to add to the frenzy and the ALL start doing it!! And Frenzy up the Large Silver Dollars TOO!!

HELP!!!, Please???
lol yeah my silver shark used to do that to..used to dart around the tank like it was being chased by a real shark everytime i stood next to the tank..

It was pretty funny :lol: ..but still i felt sorry for it. :unsure:

I found when i reduced my lighting he was a bit more relaxed.

The fish are more likely to be responding to the vibrations from movement than the visuals. Which is something you can't really block out.

Does the tank have backing on it? Putting normal black (or another colour) background on the back and sides of the tank should help them feel more secure. Moving a 6 foot tank isn't likely to be practical I would imagine - Colin must have a much bigger house with more space for 6 foot tanks than me :p

Colins given some good tips there, the backing is the only thing I can add.

If you can't get your hands down the back of the tank, then cut some black or dark blue card to the same size as the front of the tank ( ignore the fish for a moment ) . Then go to one side and slide the card along the back of the tank and fix in place with a bit of clear tape at each corner. That way you won't have to try and reach round.

I'm relatively new to the hobby with larger tanks. I just got a 75 gallon and put three Iridescent sharks (only 2-3 inches at this point). they used to swim feverishly against the glass, and when you walked by, they'd dart to the other side. I've just put in two air stones to provide more oxygen and movement to the tank and they seem to have calmed down a LOT. I'm guessing it's a direct result because i haven't done anything else (besides a water change which i was doing before). Maybe try adding some bubbles for more movement in the water?

I wouldn't bother with a film for the glass. Instead move the tank into an area that has more movement around it. People used to keep discus in the dark quiet corner of a bedroom where nobody went. The fish were always nervous. But if you compare the same fish in a petshop, they are always out in the open and don't care if someone walks past the tank. It comes down to desensitising the fish. Having people walking past it regularly will help. If that isn't going to happen, then have a television on in the room. You don't need the sound it is just the flashing light and movement on the screen that helps. You can also use an oscillating fan with some streamers/ ribbon on it. The fan will blow the streamers with the air and the movement will help to settle the fish.

Check the water quality. If the water is not perfect, (ie: has an ammonia, nitrite or high nitrate reading, or the PH is really low) then the fish will often be more nervous.

In the morning turn the room lights on or open the curtains. Wait 30-60minutes before turning the tank lights on. If you have more than 1 light on the tank, then turn one on and wait 30-60minutes before turning the others on.
At night turn the room lights on, then turn the tank lights off. Wait 30 minutes before turning the room lights off. This will prevent the fish from stressing out too much from sudden light or dark.

Have a picture across the back and sides of the tank. You can buy one from the petshop or just sticky tape some newspaper or coloured card to the outside of the tank.

Moving the tank definately helped with my discus, used to hide as i entered the room, now they are in the lounge they swim around happily all the time

You could always enrol in your local ninja school.

My bala's started out a bit skittish. Not too sure why they settled down, possibly just got used to be near the tank.

They won't eat from my hand or anthing but they are a lot more relaxed.

Thats a thought - how long have they been in the tank for?

Most reactions

Back