Oliver's New Tank

Well friends, just wanted to report that Oliver himself (and mom) will be keeping the fishless cycle going this weekend as I'll be out of town, so cross your fingers for me :)

The filter is just about there since coming back from the "bucket in shed" experience. It can't quite get to zero in 12 hours but is very close behind that and is now very reliable about taking both ammonia and nitrite definately down to zero each night after having 4-5ppm added each morning.

Interesting how the water stays crystal clear now and I never see bacterial blooms any more it seems.

~~waterdrop~~

fingers crossed

sure Oliver and Mrs Waterdrop will manage it just fine

hope you've given them the url for this forum incase there's any problems!

I hope you enjoyed your trip, WD?

Any updates on Oliver's tank?

Cheers :good:

BTT

Thanks BTT!

Yes, good trip and glad to be back to check in.

During the trip I received the following txt msg from Oliver: "to much ammonia 8ppm"

Needless to say I called home and after a number of questions, finally determined that he had used my "ammonia eyedropper" for the test water, thereby getting a false high reading. Gave a bit of a scare.

Now that I'm back and have tested a couple of times I'm pleased that ammonia is dropping to zero in less than 12 hours and nitrite had dropped almost (to 0.25ppm in 12H) and a good 4ppm has been added each day, so everything is still operating nicely and if anything it seems to be getting more solid and regular about what its doing.

Now all I have to do is work on the difference between "to" and "too" with Oliver.

~~waterdrop~~
ps. wife said there was no way she was going to get on that "fish blog" to check anything, lol.

Lol waterdrop... this must be the longest fishless cycle ever ... we will cheer when you finally get fish

Thanks BTT!

During the trip I received the following txt msg from Oliver: "to much ammonia 8ppm"

Needless to say I called home and after a number of questions, finally determined that he had used my "ammonia eyedropper" for the test water, thereby getting a false high reading. Gave a bit of a scare.

Now that I'm back and have tested a couple of times I'm pleased that ammonia is dropping to zero in less than 12 hours and nitrite had dropped almost (to 0.25ppm in 12H) and a good 4ppm has been added each day, so everything is still operating nicely and if anything it seems to be getting more solid and regular about what its doing.

Now all I have to do is work on the difference between "to" and "too" with Oliver.

~~waterdrop~~
ps. wife said there was no way she was going to get on that "fish blog" to check anything, lol.

:rofl:

how old is Oliver?

Thanks BTT!

~~waterdrop~~

:rofl:

how old is Oliver?
Oliver is eleven. He's in 6th grade, the first year of middle school here. I asked him why he hadn't made log entries on Sat/Sun in the aquarium log book. He said, "Oh, I didn't need to, they'd dropped ammonia and nitrite to zero!"

~~Mr.Waterdrop~~

awwww,

is this the first time since the tank leak incident that it's done both in 12 hrs?

Now,now, there's a note of anticipation there.. you're getting ahead of it. Those Nbacs are trying really hard but are just slightly behind the 12 hour mark still. Oliver wasn't getting the second test in before the 12 hour mark I don't think, and Nbacs were still slightly behind it last night.

That is fine with me as the logistics of getting some fish now seems to be the limiting factor. [whoops, brief interruption while I wake up "the-O" for school] I want to get a decent first bunch but probably they will be petsmart, so will be limited to zebra danios and the like, whereas maybe I'll go online for the more important ones, not sure, which causes me hesitation. [sigh]

~~waterdrop~~

ha ha, oh come on, you can't seriously tell me you're not dying to get some fish in by now!!! :D

well I don't know how it works in the USA but for me if I had nowhere nearby to get good quality fish from then I'd mail order them all even the bread and butter stuff. In the UK you wouldn't pay vastly more to order from somewhere like Trimar and you know you'll get good quality stock so it's worth the expense, and as you well know you can order them when you're ready, keep feeding the tank it's 5ppm each day and then on the day they're due to arrive do you're water change and so on.

Thanks MW, you've given me something to think seriously about. ["Oliver, get your shoes on, you're going to miss the bus!!]...

~~waterdrop~~

after all you've been through to get here, it'd be a shame to scrimp on the stock and have problems because of it.

as my mum say's 'don't spoil the road for a hapeth worth of tar' ..... not sure how that'll translate to american but never mind. :p

hapeth is a slang term for an old english coin, a half penny.

so if you're tarmacing a road then don't try and save a little bit of money, spend the extra half penny on tarmac and make a good job of it rather than saving a little bit of money and making a mess of the whole thing.

Most reactions

Back