Old Boys

dylema

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an old fighter (betta) that I have had for about two years. He was fully grown when I got him so he must be getting old. He has recently developed a small lump (about 2mm pushing out a couple of scales) on his head and is sulking in the corner of his tank. Yesterday I noticed that he had a few even smaller lumps on his head and had white stuff (fungus probably) on the lumpy area. I did a water change and treated with fungus-ade and the white stuff has cleared up. He is still eating well.

What I am really wondering it what happens to a betta before he dies of old age? Does he just get sick and die? or does his spine curve and he can't swim and dies? Or is there something else I would notice?

Thanks

Dylan

I waited awhile to answer, because I really don't know. happyannie is caring for at least one aged Betta. I think if they are otherwise healthy/no desease, they do just like me: get tired quicker, find it more and more of an effort to get up from the floor, don't like to climb up high, like that. I remember annie saying that she lowered the water for him and things you might do for the elderly. You could pm her. Or we could wait around until someone who knows something finally answers. ;)

Ok, Thanks. I will wait a while. He doesn't seem distressed just a bit tired and not healing quickly like he always has so I am not too worried. Somehow it seems less sad if he dies and I know he is old.

If anyone else has any experience that they could tell me about that would be good.

Cheers

Dylan

I had an old boy that was nearly 4 years old when he died. He went peacefully. His spine didn't bend, he just couldn't swim through the water that well or get up to the surface if the water was too high level. So i lowere dht ewater, and made him comfy. I fed him bloodworms which has high protein for him. I made sure he was warm. About a week before he died he started losing his colour, he went from a vibrant blue/purple to a dull bluey/grey

In any event, just keep your fish comfy feed him nice treats and keep the temp warm in his tank. Also, if you notice he is struggling to reach the surface, lower the water level so he doesn't have to use as much effort to reach the top.

I hope he does well!!!

Some bettas will truly die of old age, just slow down and die peacefully. Others die of disease because their immune systems are weak. I've never hears of spines bending with age, but they might get to the point where they're so weak that they have trouble swimming.

I have an old betta, my Hawaii is around 3 years old. One thing I've noticed is his change in color.

Back in the day:
DSC02279.jpg

Now:
hawaii4.jpg

He split his tail when flaring months ago, and it hasn't healed, probably also due to his age.

His eyesight isn't too hot either, I have to drop his food in one piece at a time so I can make sure he sees each one. He still has a huge appetite, but less food makes him full than it did when he was younger, probably because he doesn't swim around as much as he used to. He doesn't have a problem swimming yet, just seems to prefer resting on his plant. It amazes me though, cuz he still bubblenests sometimes!

He is so sweet old man. hehe

I think everyone with senior Bettas should post in a thread. dylema could modify the title of this thread and we could all honor you guys ol men and ladies. I for one would love to see them. :nod:

My boy Ollie just passed away last week, when I got him he was full grown and I'd had him for nearly 2 years, so who knows how old he really was. He was always super active, and even bubblenested up until about 2 weeks before he passed away. His appetite began slowly decreasing the last month or so, he just couldn't eat as much as he used to. About a week before he died I noticed that he was struggling to swim to the surface so I lowered the water level and put a big leaf that rested right under the surface, he spent most of the last week on that leaf. On his last day he kind of went up for air then kind of floated vertically head up for a minute or so, then he just sunk onto his leaf and he was gone.

Here he is when I got him
Shamrock007.jpg

And this was taken about 2 weeks before he passed away
myfishie019.jpg

myfishie015.jpg

edited for spelling

Is that Ollie's bubble nest right to the last? What a handsome boy and great old man!

I know when my boy george got to be about five, his color started to lighten and he began having trouble swimming to the top of the water to get air He would also lay really still on his plants, and I'd think he was dead until I tapped the tank and he'd move. I ended up having his tank filled only about 1/3 of the way, and he seemed happy. Then I came home from work one day and found him dead.

so, basically the signs he showed me were
Lethargic
Color loss
trouble swimming

:look: lovely stories of old fish..must be feeling a bit low today made myself cry but dont take much! :wub:

me, too, Liz. I wish dylema would change the title and make it a "post yours" thread. I love sappy sentiment.

I have so far not had any real old boys. But My HMDT Samson had begun to get grey, when he at about 2 years (if he was 3 months + when I got him) died. I got him and his lady Delilah from Brian at BetterBetta. I do not have a great old pic of him but here is his pin up:
9d27d025.jpg

and one of his first pics when he first got home:
5fd8359b.jpg

He spent his last months before he got sick sitting on his heater; he seldom ran for his food, or flirted with the Erica girl next door. His tail was soooo heavy. I don't plan on getting another heavy tailed HMDT male. But when he was young he blew bubbles against every filter current and went into deep depression, refusing to eat, when I moved the sorority tank away from him. I had to move him near the ladies again to snap him out of it.

I have a question about aging bettas. Does anyone have any advice on how to care for their special needs when they're getting up there but aren't ready to go yet? For example, there's special old-timer cat and dog food - i know that's not exactly the same, but is there a special diet that's more beneficial for the oldsters? I know someone mentioned extra protein... thanks!

Well, asides from lowering the water level slightly to help with the swimming, I would suggest holding off/not giving them Freeze dried stuff, asince I would think they'd be more prone to constipation... Usually my guys get some frozen brine shrimp once a week as a treat, but I increased it to 2-3 times a week for george... he still ate his pellets, but he looked like he was loosing weight even though I was feeding him 4 pellets twice a day. The brine shrimp seemed to fill him up more/give him more energy.

Most reactions

Back