Old Boys

:grr: This thread has set me thinking. How do you know how old a betta is? When you get them from a breeder they can tell you.
On reflection, all my fish with the exception of 2 havent grown at all! So, when do they reach maturity?
My 2 little fish, both girls? one is a boy are now slightly bigger than when I got them. (the shop I got one from has the remaining 2 or 3 girls in with neons they are in a terrible state fins chewed and stress stripes. I just had to turn and leave them. ):-(
So some of the really handsome guys you buy from lfs could be 18 months old or even ex breeders! I have this argument with pets shops all the time when they sell young budgies that are mature! but dont start me on that!
My oldest betta is in a shallow container with his own heater and weed and I feed him on bloodworms in jelly and peas, as he gets constipated and live food when I can get hold of it.

dylema could modify the title of this thread and we could all honor you guys ol men and ladies. I for one would love to see them. :nod:

Nice idea. I have edited the title.

I am not really sure how my boy is going, he got some more fungus which I am treating but he was not swimming to well last night. :/

I hope he at least gets better so he can die comfortably if he is going to.

So tell us about your old boy/girl...

Dylan

IRE Liz: If you're buying from a pet store, males are probably pretty old, often 9 months, so that they have the fullest colors and finnage. So for an animal with a lifespan of what, 3-5 years? We've allready practically lost a whole year.
Females are usually much younger from what I've read. I'm forgetting the exact figure; I think it was in the 3-6 month range.
Hey, BettaBum - do you know how old Skelt (Peanut Butter) was when you gave him to me? I just ask because he looks ANCIENT and is such a big boy.

Kylie: Ollie was a sweetheart. :wub: RIP little man.

Awww thanks elise!! You're guys is a little love too!! :wub:

Is that Ollie's bubble nest right to the last? What a handsome boy and great old man!

Yeah thats his bubblenest, it wasn't really as big as it looked in the picture, the old guy always tried his best though :D

Hey, BettaBum - do you know how old Skelt (Peanut Butter) was when you gave him to me? I just ask because he looks ANCIENT and is such a big boy.

Ren, he was about 2 years old when I got him, maybe a little less, hes an old man!! :wub:

I just got 3 Bettas from two stores. The VT female from Petco is not even an inch. The two VT boys from my fav lps are both young. They will probably double in size by girth and length. They are an inch and a half to two inches. They have their adolecent maturity, but not fully filled out. The ones in Petco were the same.

I think it must depend on the store and location. I'm guessing that someone local is breeding and supplying. The interesting thing to me was that the cups in Petco were twice the usual size..

Good work, Betta Activists! :good:

Most reactions

Back