Okay My Fry Problems

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
my fry are coming into 6 months or so now (maybe more i lost count) and they are still about this size |---|. they have their colours just not growing. i feed them crushed flake food with bloodworm 3 times a day. is this normal and what will happen this far along, will they just die due to growth issues?

dump them their no good you are wasting your time and Money feeding them.
is it the only the one type of fish thet this has hapend to.

no. my wagtail and sunset. these are both their fry. i gave some to my friend and they grew 2 inches in 2-3 months. how can this be they are from the same batch???

they are in a 10gal tank with heater & filter same as my friend.

Do you do a lot of waterchanges on the tank? this helps thier growth rate.

also start feeding them protien food

i change water once a week (usually near the end of the week) and i will see if i can find some dried brimeshrimp. i'll mix it in with the flakes.

I don't know the solution but i had the same problem. 2 of my dalmation molly fry both born in the same batch. A couple of months later one was adult size one looked like it was a day old. Weird hey?

it is very very weird. my friend just sent me pics of my fry i gave to her they are about this big, |--------|
again dunno what is wrong with my methods haha.

I have Molly fry right now that just turned three weeks old and they are about this (---------) size. Platys are typically born smaller than Mollies though. How often do you feed? I feed mine 3-4 small meals a day which means that I must do a 20-30% water change at least every other day (usually every day).

i feed mines 3 times a day. i dip the tip of a toothpick in the food and drop it in the water
maybe i am not giving enough.

Omega, I have seen the process described this way. Every time you go past the tank from right to left, feed them. Every time you go past the tank from left to right, do a water change. I know that sounds absurd but the point is that both good frequent feeding and frequent, not just weekly, water changes are important to growth.

Sounds like maybe you aren't feeding enough. I give mine a good hearty 'pinch' when feeding ground flake...of course, I probably feed TOO MUCH (hence the daily water changes). I try to keep the little guys' bellies nice and round at all times. My babies also like small chunks of algae tabs and are given a couple of finely mashed de-hulled peas once a week. The pea seems to be their favorite.

sorry i dont understand what you mean OldMan, i don't walk by the fry tank left and right or right and left LOL it is in a corner in my pc room. i guess you mean to feed them every 3 hrs a good amount??

nosoup maybe i will feed them more often i guess.. every 3hrs or 2hrs and see what happens within a week or two. still going to fine the brimeshrinp tho.

thank yous.

question: is it normal for a few fry to just die randomly after being born. i.e previously healthy ones? or is it down to oxygen/ammonia problems?

Most reactions

Back