Ok Posted This Nitrate ? In My Other Post With My Fish-In Cycle

pumpkinnose

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm using Jungle 5 N 1 strips to test my water out. The thing is the last couple of days I've had reading at 20 on Nitrate. Is this common with a tank that has only been cycling for about 2 weeks? I did do a 4 gallon water change for a 10 Gallon tank Monday of 50% distilled and 50% tap with water treatment to take the chlorine out. Ammonia has been reading low also The amount of fish I have in the aquarium is in my signature. Thanks

Test strips are garbage. Totally useless. Get a liquid based test kit like the API Master Freshwater Kit that many of us use. You will never get any accurate test from a strip. So if your test strip is showing some ammonia and some nitrate you could have them in you tap water (both common) or you could have way more than it is showing in your tank. Any ammonia in your tank means time for a large water change.

The ammonia I have a liquid test for. Yesterday when I checked it showed 0 ammonia so now I just have to still keep an eye on it but also the nitrate. It just seems odd to me that it is reading so low for several days in a row when the tank has been running for such a short time.

Most tap water comes with some nitrate in it, 40-50mg/l is very normal here in Southampton. Any in your tap water will be diluted by your distilled water mix.

I would be surprised if you have any nitrate from your bacteria yet, it typically takes more that 2 weeks for nitrite processing types to show up and start producing nitrate.

I think part of the problem maybe the temp my aquarium is at. We a
dont have air conditioning so could that help the growth of bacteria. I try hard to keep bottles of ice in the aquarium to cool tje temp off for my poor fish.

Test strips are junk. You can get a master test kit for about $16.00 on Amazon. You aren't supposed to use distilled water in water changes either. There are literally no nutrients in it. It is not healthy for fish, and really bad for plants. I try to keep my nitrates under 20ppm. Whenever it hits around 20ppm I do a water change.

I think part of the problem maybe the temp my aquarium is at. We a
dont have air conditioning so could that help the growth of bacteria. I try hard to keep bottles of ice in the aquarium to cool tje temp off for my poor fish.
What temperature is your tank? Some fish like it hotter or colder than others and that is the temp you should shoot for. But the ideal temp for growing good bio filter bacteria is 83-85 degrees. They can grow in much colder and slightly warmer conditions although not as fast. Only if it gets up to 90 or so will your bacteria start dieing but your fish will be in trouble long before that.

If I don't put ice in the aquarium it gets in the 90s or higher so I try to keep the light off during the day. And I have platies. And at this time I can't afford a cooler or I would get one

If I don't put ice in the aquarium it gets in the 90s or higher so I try to keep the light off during the day. And I have platies. And at this time I can't afford a cooler or I would get one
If your tank is getting into the 90's that is your problem. Platies won't do well in water temps higher than 84 anyway. Not only are your bacteria dieing off from the heat you fish are cooking as well. Is your whole house getting that hot? You may need to move the tank into a cooler part of the house.

Yes the whole house is getting that hot or hotter. I know the living room themometer says it gets into the hundreds. So there really isnt a cooler room in the house. My family have fans in the house bit they arent helping much to keep it cool.

Most reactions

Back