Ok And Is Mine Pregnant...lol....lots Of Pregnant Platies!

Ok Rach has just asked the same and didnt want to be a nuisance and hijack Rach's post....I am beginning to think my platy is just a fatty, but seems to be showing signs of giving birth, hiding a lot, the males chasing her round, going to the bottom of the tank, then to the plants and then back into the castle I have in my tank...but thought I would post a couple of pics just to see if anyone thinks she is ready to give birth, or whether she is just a fat round little fish!

Thanks in advance

I can try and do a clearer pic if needed!

She should drop within the next few days... (1 week max)

Look for the following...

Dwelling near bottom

Hanging around near heater, filter, plants, corners of tank (top).

She will be very unsocial and not swim much when she is ready to drop, so look for the signs and good luck :)

Well 5teady...you were right, just found 2 babies in the tank...I had thought she had aborted as didn't look as fat but yayyyyyyy I was wrong, only found 2 fry so far, and they are so small, a lot smaller than the molly fry I have...have managed to catch them both, and am sure she is still ready to drop some more......ha its sunday again, all my fish have given birth on a Sunday...strange but true...shall try and get a pic of em,,,!!!!

Congratulations Debbie, exactly a week after mine. So it turns out that only is 5teady cute but he's also very knowledgeable pmsl!
Keep me updated if u find anymore, it's so exciting!

Thanks Rach......still only got 2, and am unsure if she will have anymore, she still looks fat, but as with your's it had a couple and then you seem to wait ages for anymore, so maybe that will happen to mine also.....!

Glad to hear all yours are alive and well.....!

Here is a picture, sorry about the quality of it, just couldn't get at the right angle....ain't it just so little and cute...!

Debbie

Attachments

• baby_platy2.jpg
    baby_platy2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 71
Aaaaaaah bless, I can't get a good enough picture of mine. They are so sweet.

Thanks Rach......still only got 2, and am unsure if she will have anymore, she still looks fat, but as with your's it had a couple and then you seem to wait ages for anymore, so maybe that will happen to mine also.....!

Here is a picture, sorry about the quality of it, just couldn't get at the right angle....ain't it just so little and cute...!

Debbie

That little baby their looks a couple of days old to me i think it will be unlikely you find anymore they may of been eaten

Debbie

That little baby their looks a couple of days old to me i think it will be unlikely you find anymore they may of been eaten

Hmmm ok...it does actually look bigger in the pic though, don't know if the glass has magnified it....maybe you are right and I will only get 2 fry...time will tell I am sure...thanks for the reply.

Debbie

Debbie

Well I don't know if they give birth over a few days, but just seen her have another....found another one too, but my danio got to it before i did :( so I am up to three now.......wooohoooo :)

Debbie

Well I don't know if they give birth over a few days, but just seen her have another....found another one too, but my danio got to it before i did :( so I am up to three now.......wooohoooo :)

Debbie thats great news, are you moving her into a breeding trap?

Debbie

Debbie thats great news, are you moving her into a breeding trap?

Well Rach...I have tried to catch her but not a chance, its a big tank and lots of hiding places, I will try again in a bit as do not want to stress her out, if I get three babies then I am happy with that, I already have a molly fry tank with about 20 molly fry in, so would struggle to put a load more fry anywhere, where have you got yours? Once I know she has finished giving birth I am going to take her out with the other two female platy I have and put them with my female mollies, otherwise I will end up with hundreds of fry, the males will just have to turn gay or go without...lol

Debbie

Can I treat the tank with the new fry in, for ick as noticed the dreaded white spot is back? Will it harm my 2 lickle babies?

I used whitespot treatment in my tank and there was loads of fry and they was ok, but to be sure, ask in the emergencies section, hopefully someone like Wilder will reply quickly :)

Most reactions

Back