Official Advice Topic

Ukfan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought i'd start this topic and use it so everyone can read it if they have the same problem or if they would just read to get advice.
Just to let everyone know, I'm not a pro on fish keeping but I have done it for 7/8 months now :)

Cleaning Your Aquarium
Performing Your Weekly 10-15% Water Change

Equipment Needed: Bucket, siphon, Declorinator, Tap water Algae Scrub, Gravel Cleaner and Algae Magnet.

Method:

Remember: The better care you provide for your tank, the healthier your fish will be, the nicer your tank will look and the easier your tank will be to care for in the future

1. When you clean your aquarium, you should just remove (10-15%) of the water and replace it with fresh, dechlorinated tap water. Bowls and vases require larger water changes more often. While you are doing this, you should use your siphon to suck up some of the gunk that collects in the gravel and decorations. If you have an under gravel filter, it is very important to clean the gravel when you do your weekly water changes, this will prevent detritus and other decaying organic matter.

2. If you have algae growing on the surface of the tank or ornaments, you should get an algae scraper of some sort and scrub the glass before removing water. Many varieties of algae scrapers or scrubbers are available at your local pet store. For additional cleanliness, you could get algae eating catfish and/or scavengers to pick up some of this work for you, however, having catfish in the tank does NOT mean that you don't need to clean.

3. Once you have siphoned 10-15% of the water from your tank, you will need to fill it again. The easiest and neatest way to do this, is to use a siphon to siphon water from a bucket into the tank. This will tend to reduce spilling and messing up the gravel and decorations. Use a bucket and fill it with water. The water should be close to the temperature of the tank water. Place the bucket somewhere higher than the top of the fish tank, and get your siphon going again and in just a couple of minutes, you should have a full tank. Be sure to watch the siphon, in case the hose gets bumped out of the tank, or if there is enough water in your bucket to overfill the tank. Remember, there needs to be some space between the top of the water and the aquarium cover, because your fish rely on oxygen exchange at the surface of the water in order to be able to breathe.

Remember, cleaning your tank is easy. Scrub for algae, remove 10-15% of the water while cleaning the gravel and top off the tank with dechlorinated water.

----------------------------------------------------------

The way I do it:

I have a 3 foot long tank and I do 20% water change every 3-4 weeks. Now when I start emptying the water into an empty bucket. I use a clean, empty yoghurt pot (the medium size from a local market -I make sure that I have cleaned it well!)
I then empty 10% of the water from my tank and throw it down the gutter in my backyard. Once I have emptyied 10/15% of the tank water, I take out my filter, put it into my bucket full of tank water and put it apart in my kitchen sink. I then wash the sponges inside the filter under the tap rubbing the two together to get out all the dirt. I go back to my tank and get a algae scrub and scrub my tank glass walls making sure the glass does not crack or break by having a stone/pebble getting stuck in the sponge. I sometimes have floating plants pop out of the gravel so I insert them back in putting a couple of pebbels around them so they dont float up again. I then get a gravel cleaner and clean the gravel.
Now I put my filter back into the tank (once I put it back together making sure the plug does not go in any water!!! and put it in the bucket so it does not drip all over the carpets) and then I start to take out an additional 7/10% of tank water and do the same by emptying it out. I then finally add clean new fresh water from the tap. about 20% or alittle bit more making sure no fish jump out in the process. Before adding the fresh clean water I use declorinator (about 1 cap full per bucket) and then slowly put it into the tank.

Once I have done all this the tank water will start to become clear after 5-10 mins or so.
FInally I now use this algae magent (one is inside the tank and the other outside attchec by a thread) and clean all the glass on the tank.

I hope this is all right and that you guys can give me and everyone else some great advice and tips on how you clean your tank and do water change.

Hopefully tomorrow I will go onto a differnet topic and update this thread if its ok with the moderaters.

I hope you all read on how I do water changes (sorry if its long and boring but just typing how I do it lol) and hope to get rates and comments!

:good:

Definitely not sticky quality, it sounds as if you clean your all filter media with tap water?
Also do you really empty the water using a ex-yoghurt pot? Sounds very time consuming unless you eat some really big yoghurts!

(Edit: you bathe in a bucket...?)

Very very very important for a successful tank:-

Don't clean your filter sponges under the tap as the chlorine and sudden temperature change will kill your filter bacteria. Filter sponges should always be cleaned in water from the tank!

Definitely not sticky quality, it sounds as if you clean your all filter media with tap water?
Also do you really empty the water using a ex-yoghurt pot? Sounds very time consuming unless you eat some really big yoghurts!

Yeah sorry its bit scruffy and I know it doesn't sound like a great opening to the thread but I will be editing it alot. Its just that its really late here and I rushed my last post but tomorrow I will make it sound better.
Yeah I clean my sponges with tap water, so i'm guess thats a bad thing? :unsure:
Yeah but its not a tiny yoghurt pots which you get in a mutil pack, its about 1 liter long, I only use it because my syphon has broke and its the only thing thats big enough to fit in my tank with the lid on (just incase any of my fish jump out) :/

Oh and please dont flame me or give me a hard time on this thread, but just think of it as a help topic for me and other fish keepers who are hew to this hobby

Cheers

Don't feel like anyone is trying to give you a hard time mate. It's just a very important point and can't be stressed enough. We're just trying to help. :good:

Don't feel like anyone is trying to give you a hard time mate. It's just a very important point and can't be stressed enough. We're just trying to help. :good:

Much appriciated mate,

all the advice given in this topic will deffo help me and other members become a greater fish keeper!

And it looks like I have found something new out so i guess the sayng is true "You really do lean something new everyday" :)

I always take the lid off for my water changes, in fact its been off for about an hour at the moment since i've been doing a water change and re-planting.

I suppose it depends on what fish you have and how bad the water is

Very very very important for a successful tank:-

Don't clean your filter sponges under the tap as the chlorine and sudden temperature change will kill your filter bacteria. Filter sponges should always be cleaned in water from the tank!
Always? I have never cleaned filter sponges under anything other than the tap. It's the only way to get all the accumulated crap out of there. Your statements is a less than ideal blanket statement for two reasons, the first weak, the second much stronger:

1) the bacteria in our tank come from the taps in the first place, so have survived the levels of chlorine in the water and it looks from scientific research like some of them may well feed off of chloramine, if present.

2) Not all filter sponges are there to hold bacteria. None of my filters use sponges for anything other than mechanical filtration. The last thing I want is detritus accumulating and breaking down in the sponge so I rinse it under the mains shower on full bore. All the bacteria are on the bioballs which sit underneath the sponge.

The above two reasons do not touch on the levels of bacteria in our colonies compared to the amounts the chlorination are attempting to eradicate.

So where does this bacteria which comes from the tap live? In the water column until it gets caught in the biological media? I'd be interested to see you cycle a tank with no filter using only the bacteria which supposedly comes from the tap.

Also, if this is the case, why use dechlorinator?

I know that not all sponges are intended as biological media, but all sponges will act as biological media unless you take specific steps to prevent them from doing so.

If the sponge is intended purely as mechanical media, then i agree with you, it probably should be washed under the tap. However, I and many other hobbyists use sponges as the main boilogical media in the filter, and until i see strong evidence to suggest that the hobby's experts have been wrong all this time, and chlorine and chloramine don't actually negatively impact on the bacteria, i will continue to wash my sponges in tank water and i will continue to advise others to do the same.

I am not sure if you are saying you wash biological media under the tap, or if you are saying that your sponges are not used for this purpose, and if you do wash biological media under the tap, i wish you the best of luck.

I'd be very interested to get an expert opinion on the matter. Maybe Bignose would help me out with that?

The guy starting to thread mentions gravel in his first post. So I was assuming he must have gravel for his plants to come out of the gravel....

I just think that if this thread is to help out new fishkeepers in needs to contain all of the correct information from all angles. They are more than one way to skin a cat but one way might be better than others.

I use a gravel sucker to get my water out and can clean the whole bottom of the tank when getting 20 Liters out. Then another 10 just water to wash the filters in. No Pots of anything. Just sucker and bucket. simple.

I just think that if this thread is to help out new fishkeepers in needs to contain all of the correct information from all angles. They are more than one way to skin a cat but one way might be better than others.

I think that was the basic idea behind this topic, and it would probably help its usefulness if folks did post the procedures they followed for tank maintenance & water changes.

Ok, that's very interesting reading. Thanks Tolak.

It still raises a few questions for me though.

1) I'd still be curious about cycling a tank with no filter. Surely this theory is suggesting that it would be a viable option?

2) Although a chloramine resistant strain of the bacteria can develop, it doesn't seem to be the case that this will happen. Bignose quotes that a survey found around 65% of utilities tested positive for nitrifying bacteria. What about the other 35%? How do you know whether your water has chloramine resistant nitrifying bacteria or not? It seems that not dechlorinating or washing your biological media under the tap could be a risky business if you are in the 35%.

3) Does the same apply for chlorine and chloramine?

Also, my apologies to UKfan. This has went way off the original topic. I suggest it should maybe be continued in the thread which Tolak linked to?

Most reactions

Back