Ocellated Snakehead

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ronananator

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok so today i went to my local fish store to order in some snakeheads but it turns out they are getting a order in tomoro for 8 channa pleurophtalna Ocellated Snakehead i was woundering could i get one of them for my 120 litre ( 4 foot i think ) i got loads of hiding spots and all... and also will i need a heater for them i live in ireland also will overfilteration be neededed for just one of them ?

I may be wrong in saying this but 120 litre seems low if it is 4 foot. One of my tanks is 3ft long, 2 ft high and 16 inch wide and that's 210 litres. Also if let's say it is 120 litres then i don't think that would be enough for a snakehead. They grow quite big. Id off tought more alone the lines of 250 litre. And yes they need a heater :) like i said i may be wrong, I'm just goin by the numerous videos of snakeheads iv seen and they all in tanks around 100 gallon+

ya tbh i didnt really bother go and messure it i just remember someone saying something about 4 foot but i could be wrong i just know it is a very long tank :)

:) well if it is a 4 ft then i would of thought it would be around the 100 gallon mark. My friends tank is 4ft x 2ft x 2ft and I'm pretty sure he said that was 100 gallon which is around 450 litres. He has got a 10 inch silver aroana, a breeding pair of green terrors, 3 bala sharks and a few clown loaches so im pretty sure your tank would be enough to hold 1 snakehead :)

120 Litres
39 inch long
15 inch heigh
15 inchs wide

there are the dimensions :) sorry lol not 4 foot at all

Ah right, that's just over 3ft long then. Now 120 litres makes more sense lol I wouldn't advise keeping a snakehead in a tank of this size unless you was looking to upgrade in the near future but hey, that's just my opinion. It's your tank so if you want one then nobody can stop you :) I keep 4 torpedo barbs ( as well as other fish ) in my 210 litre and they are doing just fine. They are recommended for a tank size of 250 litres+.

Hi.
That tank is waaaay too small for Pleuros.

They will grow much much bigger than the width of that tank.
Also they need lots of space as they are VERY active Channa.
They also do best in groups as they are pack hunters.

Give up on the idea of keeping them and go for a smaller species.

ok thank you for ure advice :) i will look into smaller type of pike cichlids :)tthanks again :)

Most reactions

Back